MyWi Only Creating Local Network...
So I posted this in another thread about MyWi, but it seems to have been too unrelated. In any case here is the situation.
When I set up a wireless network through MyWi, it shows up just fine for my laptop/other computers, and I can connect to it as well. However, the network that has been created is a local network only, ie there is no internet access (not utilizing the 3G or EDGE). I have tried resetting my network settings, and restarting the phone. The option for internet tethering is set to ON in the settings. But still nothing. I did use to have PDAnet on here, but that has since been uninstalled (I saw some comments about one must be uninstalled for the other to work). Do I have to install the AT&T tethering fix before it will work? I haven't seen anyone mention having to do that. Any help would be much appreciated.
- 01-13-2010, 05:54 PM #3
I haven't tried in a few days, but using WiFi I get get same issues. My laptop connects, but no internet access. USB tethering works great. I'll try again tonight and report on my attempt.
** UPDATE **
I just tried connecting my laptop to the iPhone using the WiFi hotspot created by MyWi and it is working. I'm showing that it's connected via an ad hoc network, but there is internet access, whereas before I had issues connecting. Don't know if it's an intermittent thing, or something else.
In any case, I can currently connect via WiFi or USB tethering using MyWi.
Last edited by mgregg99; 01-13-2010 at 08:51 PM.
- 01-13-2010, 09:45 PM #4
- 01-14-2010, 09:25 PM #6
- 01-14-2010, 11:08 PM #7
I just tried the WiFi connection again and got bad results. The SSID from the iPhone shows up on my laptop, but when I click to connect it doesn't prompt for the WEP security key. It does say that it's connected, but there is no internet access. I had changed the WEP key just to make sure it wouldn't connect using the previous info so I highly doubt that it is in fact connected.
It just seems like the WiFi connectivity is a bit temperamental. I got it to work once, but not the other times. USB tethering always works, though. That alone will keep the app on my iPhone, but it would be nice to get the WiFi to work as well.
Anyone else get the WiFi to work consistently? What did you do? WEP? No WEP? Change channels? Just curious as to what might do the trick.
- 01-15-2010, 01:05 AM #8
I can't seem to get it to tether via USB or bluetooth either. I check that tethering is enabled in the network settings, and that bluetooth is on, but even when I plug in the phone to the computer with a USB cable, I get no internet. Plus MyWi froze on me the other day and basically kept the little blue banner at the top even once it was closed, and everything was turned off, and even after I did a respring (I eventaully restarted). I thought it might be due to the fact that my laptop runs linux, but I tried my roommates laptop on XP, and it got the same local network only issue. The wireless broadcasting seems to be doing just fine, the issue appears to be in the sharing of the 3G to that network/connection, which could be that it's not properly tethering.
I've seen things for "tethering fix" for AT&T and other stuff like that in cydia/rock, should I try getting one of those?
- 01-15-2010, 06:05 PM #10
Did a little more experimenting and I think I've found a way to get WiFi to work with my laptop and have internet access.
It seems that if I change the WEP key or WiFi channel after ending a successful connection, from that point on I'm unable to reconnect to the internet. The laptop acts like it's connected, although it never asks for the new WEP key and there is no internet activity. It seems the issue is the laptop not being able to recognize the changes and doesn't treat it like a new connection. It just assumes the settings are the same and states that it's connected even though it's far from it. I wish my laptop had a setting like the iPhone where you can "forget" a connection so it will be new the next time I try to use that connection.
The solution was to change the WiFi name to something new, make sure I'm satisfied with the WiFi channel and the WEP key, and then connect again with the laptop. It now asks for the WEP key and I get internet access. I can disconnect and connect at will and it works each and every time as long as I don't change anything in MyWi. If I do change anything I need to change the WiFi name as well so the laptop will treat it like a new connection.
Hopefully this is the last of the issues.
Last edited by mgregg99; 01-16-2010 at 09:33 AM.
- 01-17-2010, 11:50 AM #11
- 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM #12
MyWi connection resolution
I decided I would post what happened to me and what I did.....
Trying to get my new iPad with wi-fi only to connect to my iPhone running the My-Wi software.
I had a couple of installation issues...the software telling me that an error occurred and the app wasnt completely installed, though it was an icon on the phone....I uninstalled the app and reinstalled...this error went away.
Next, I clicked the app and enabled Wi-Fi tethering. Now a few notes on this:
1. Ensure Internet Tethering is enabled in the System Settings, Networks area.
2. If you want Bluetooth to work, make sure its enabled in System Settings too.
3. The phone will be on its "own" wi-fi network, not some local one that is nearby. This will be the same one the laptop or iPad will use. I dont know if this was made clear or not in the docs.
4. In the My-Wi config, change the "name" of the connection from the default.
5. Enable WEP. I found that without WEP, I could connect with my iPad, but the phone would NOT hand out a DHCP address...i kept getting a 169.254.x.x address and thus, no Internet connection. As soon as I enabled WEP and put in a key, I went back to the iPad, "forgot" the old wi-fi connection, and made it scan for a new one...it then asked for the WEP key and connected. Note also that the blue bandwidth bar for up and down bandwidth suddenly popped up when I enabled WEP..it would not show before. So actually configuring WEP made this tethering actually work. I could not get tethering to work without using WEP.
6. I made a simple WEP key...1234560000
7. Soft and hard resets of the phone didnt make anything work, though the software did them for me and it doesnt hurt either.
8. Tested this using Windows 7, my iPad, and a MacBook. All were able to connect.
9. Looking in my network settings on the iPad, the phone provided a 10.x ip address scheme to the iPad from DHCP on the phone...so if you still get a 169 address, its not working...plus if you do not have the blue bandwidth bar at the top of the phone, it is not going to work either...the phone has to show that before any client will work...even though it may look like you can connect and things are configured...no blue bar = no dhcp and no Internet.
Hope this TOI helps someone.
- 04-05-2010, 11:20 AM #13
One more thing,
As far as Bluetooth goes, I could not get the iPhone to iPad Bluetooth connection working...during the whole process I was working on wi-fi, i also tried the Bluetooth and the iPad would not see the iPhone as a device. Only my external Bluetooth keyboard. Maybe someone knows how to fix that.
My phone is using 3.1.2 software...I am not going to 3.1.3 unless someone says all this stuff works on it.
iPad is using the default 3.2 software. (doesnt really matter anyway)
- 04-05-2010, 11:28 AM #14
Yet One More Thing
This software will drain your battery on the phone like water going down a sink.
Keep the phone plugged into power.
it wont last longer than maybe a couple of hours at most if the phone is using wifi tethering and on battery.
Plus the phone will heat up...another big clue the battery is going down.....
- 11-26-2010, 08:00 PM #15iPhone Nanite
- 1 Posts
I have the same problem too. I have a SONY Vaio laptop with Atheros AR9285 wireless. It used to be able to connect to my iPad MyWi when I have Windows 7 Home Premium. Then I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate and now instead of multiple bars icon next to MyWi name, it has a multiple computers icon which tells me that Windows 7 Ultimate sees it as an ad hoc connection instead of a Wi Fi hotspot. I can connect to MyWi but not internet access. Maybe it's Windows 7 Ultimate problem. I have a Windows Vista Ultimate desktop and it sees MyWi as a Wi Fi hotspot with multiple bars icon next to it.
Edit: I downloaded an updated driver for my Atheros AR9285 and it finally works. I can connect to MyWi and the internet. The icon remain unchanged however.
Last edited by rsuryase; 11-26-2010 at 09:02 PM.
- 11-28-2010, 12:05 AM #16