iPhone 3.1.2 ( jailbroken with blackra1n ) & ssh problem

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so prior to 3.1.2 I was able to ssh to my phone. No problems. yay.

GeoHot releases blackra1n, so I update to 3.1.2, jailbreak and restore from backup. My phone is running smoothly. I install notifier, winterboard, backgrounder and OpenSSH.

I go to connect to my iPhone and....nothing. It times out. Hum. I check the IP address, I check to make sure my iPhone didn't ninja onto someone elses wireless network, I make sure that the username and password were correct.

I'm kind of at a loss now. I know OpenSSH is installed and has be reinstalled a few times at this point. I installed the terminal app to verify that I hadn't changed the password, it's still the default.

The only change I've made on my PC side since my last SSH connection is I went fully wireless, maybe that's an issue and I need to tweak my wireless settings, I don't know. Any one have any ideas?

I've tried using WinSCP and Putty both with the same network timeout errors.

Thanks in advance

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
You have to edit the plist. Blackra1n drips the payload while jailbreaking, but GeoHot did not include the proper service in yh payload that will allow you to effectively SSH.

Please see my post about fixing the iPhone Browser. It may help.

dragonc12

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
What I had to do with WinSCP was actually change the connection timeout from 15 seconds to 30 seconds and that worked. However I really dont like WInSCP and want to keep using Diskaid. So I'm going to have to edit my plist file.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
What I had to do with WinSCP was actually change the connection timeout from 15 seconds to 30 seconds and that worked. However I really dont like WInSCP and want to keep using Diskaid. So I'm going to have to edit my plist file.

I tried that too, hell I went all the way up to 60 seconds, but nothing.

If you have used Blackra1n, please try installing the new afc2add program in Cydia.

I'll tyr this when I get home tonight.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
So I moved recently, and my wireless router is now not in the same room as my computer ( it was prior to my move ), so I purchased a Linksys WMP54GS. If I try to connect to my iPhone using this wireless connection, I just get a time out. It's like the NIC is blocking the request.

I also have a dlink wired NIC. I decided to bring my router into my office and give it a try. Low and behold, first try, I was SSH'd into my phone without issue. I'm pretty stumped here. If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful.

Last edited:

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
MOTHER F'ER...

Hidden deep in settings the Linksys router has something called "AP Isolation" that is defaulted to ON.

This is the description of the setting:
Creates a separate virtual network for your wireless network. When this feature is enabled, each of your wireless client will be in its own virtual network and will not be able to communicate with each other. You may want to utilize this feature if you have many guests that frequent your wireless network.

I turn that off and I can SSH just fine. UGH. This has been so f'n painful LOL.