2 iphones, 1 ipod and one computer/itunes acct

jocelyn

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
forgive me if this has been covered- I tried doing a search, but it was frustrating and provided no results..

we have three devices all together. one computer. one itunes account. everything is fine expect for the music syncing, which we learned our lesson on in the beginning- after syncing, we set everything back to manual for the next one to jump on, otherwise, anything checked will be applied to the next device.

we do not listen to all the same music.. let's say there's an album that my daughter and I want, but my boyfriend was the last to sync.. just to add the newly downloaded album, we have to go through and check/uncheck all songs that should/shouldn't be on the particular device.

all those little check boxes.. thousands of songs.. it's a massive pain and there *has* to be an easier way. I would think itunes and the device would remember individual settings for individual devices..

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I'd suggest putting all the music into different playlists.
For Example: Tom's Playlist, Larry's Playlist, Donna's Playlist and just sync the playlists to the iPhone/iPod.

jocelyn

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
would be better if drag-n-drop were an option. but it isn't.. (or is it?)

itunes allows for home sharing and would kinda allow us to do what we expect, if you have more than one computer.. but we don't. if you can see the music on each device, you should then be able to select which new music to add, without having to go through what we have been.. or making playlists.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
would be better if drag-n-drop were an option. but it isn't.. (or is it?)

itunes allows for home sharing and would kinda allow us to do what we expect, if you have more than one computer.. but we don't. if you can see the music on each device, you should then be able to select which new music to add, without having to go through what we have been.. or making playlists.

You can drag and drop music into a playlist.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I believe itunes does remember the sync settings of what playlists you choose. it just doesn't remember what songs are checked since that's unrelated to syncing in the way they setup things to work

keep all the songs checked. every one.

each person drags the songs they want to sync to a playlist of their own. don't want to listen to it any more? remove it from the playlist

then watch the linked video from ~40 seconds to ~60 seconds. notice how there's the ability to sync playlists on the same window when they start checking certain artists
Apple - iTunes - Tutorials - Learn about all things iTunes.
do that

when you sync only a specific playlist it only syncs music that's inside that playlist even if every other song in the library is checked.

here's why this is not a "workaround" and is the right way.
let's say you have more songs than space and you alternate between 2-3 sets of songs rather often. make one playlist for each set of songs once and you can reuse the playlist for as long as you want, selecting to sync only the one you want. after you setup the playlist you just spent 5 minutes setting up your sync and can let the computer do the rest.

make a playlist once vs check and uncheck songs every time. it seems like an easy answer

Last edited:

jocelyn

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
thank you for the information. we are coming from blackberries- new to the iphone, and itunes..

I let my frustrations get the best of me- we still have a lot to learn!

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
thank you for the information. we are coming from blackberries- new to the iphone, and itunes..

I let my frustrations get the best of me- we still have a lot to learn!

Changing Platforms is always stressful!;) Just give it some time. Apple, despite many faults, does make the "learning curve" quite short.:)

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Changing Platforms is always stressful!;) Just give it some time. Apple, despite many faults, does make the "learning curve" quite short.:)

and it's usually harder if you do things the way they don't intend even if it's the optim way for you personally. want to sync to a not approved app? painful. otherwise it's check and go.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77