Carrier Versions...

bigblue2007

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Do we know if there will be two versions of each iPhone 7 in the US like with the 6s and 6s plus (i.e. iPhone 6s has a1633 and a 1688)?

imtravis

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Looking in the Apple Store, there maybe two versions (although I saw four model numbers). Two appear to be missing CDMA bands.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I just took a look on their sites and there are indeed 4 models (two each for the 7 and the 7 plus). However, when I compare the LTE bands supported, they're identical. Anyone else seeing the same thing? Wondering why they have different models if that's the case.

CheddarBo

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Each has a CDMA variation and one without CDMA. Presumably the CDMA versions will work on any of the 4 major carriers, while the non-CDMA will only work on ATT / T-Mo carriers.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Qualcomm was Apple's exclusive supplier of modems for LTE and Wi-Fi connectivity, which explains why the iPhone 6s and previous generations supported both GSM and CDMA networks regardless of carrier. But with Intel entering the mix, choosing which iPhone to purchase is now more meaningful.

The lack of CDMA support in iPhones with Intel modems may be short lived, fortunately, as Intel acquired CDMA assets from VIA Telecom in 2015. It is believed that this acquisition could pave the way for Intel to release its first LTE modem with both GSM and CDMA support as early as 2017 or 2018.

Ultimately, the most obvious choice should be to purchase a Verizon or Sprint model, even if you are an AT&T or T-Mobile customer, especially when considering resale value. However, some customers may have difficulty purchasing from another carrier, depending on their current status with their existing carrier.

Apple should also release an unlocked SIM-free model in the U.S., likely based on the Verizon/Sprint model, in a few weeks based on past launches.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2