Keep 5S or buy iPhone 6 off contract?

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Is being stuck with the m8 bad? I mean, I think it's a nice phone. It's still a top performer. It's not like I got a junky Samsung or something

It definitely isn't a bad thing at all. I enjoyed it during the week I used it. My only gripe with it was how tall it was with the power button being on top. But, since I'm at point now where I won't be able to switch devices as frequently as I'm known to, if I'm going to use a phone for 2 straight years it'll DEFINITELY be an iPhone! Personal preference.

Last edited:

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm just gonna keep the 5S for another year. While I want a bigger screen, I can't justify dropping 700-800 dollars on a new iPhone when I'm still paying off the m8. I just hope it'll be great for the next year.

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
So, after giving up on android and thus my htc one M8, I used my upgrade on, I'm now in the tough spot of deciding wether to ride out my 5S for another year (until my att Next upgrade is renewed after paying off the M8) or to pay the 750 dollars for a iPhone 6 64gb. Keep in mind also I'm still stuck making the payments on the M8.

Will the 5S hold up well over the next year as far as performance goes? Or is the 6 worth the extra cost?
Don't do it. Keep the 5s and let Apple sort out the bugs with the iPhone 6 and get a 6s.

ajarnfalang

Banned
Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Weird. I'm on Android after 3 years of iPhone and I will NEVER go back to iPhone. I make much better use of my homescreen than an iPhone ever will.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I bought the 6. Mine was defective. Returned it and I don't really have the desire to get another one. I do, however, have the desire of wanting another 5s.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
How long ago did you buy it. Most carriers have a 45 day return policy. If you are in that window and having second thoughts about the 5s. Exchange it for the 6. However it's been already said, the 5s will be fine for a few years.

losino

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
The 5s will hold up just fine. There are still people using 4s. These devices are built to last for several years. A lot of times people just upgrade just to upgrade without any real need to do so. Just to have the latest device(I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that if you have the means to do so)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The one thing about going back to android would be I do feel like I'm freed up more. As in I can be able to choose what I use for a phone, tablet, computer, or streaming box more than I could with Apple. And that seems nice, even if I miss out on things like continuity.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I originaly posted this elsewhere, but I wrote out my personal feelings on both android and iOS:

On one hand with android, I have a lot more hardware choice. It'll be pretty easy to find something I'd like. Also, I don't feel like I'm being locked to one OEM for everything like I would with Apple. As in, I would then feel like if have to use a iPad ir Mac instead of a comparable android tablet and a windows PC. In other words, I feel I can be more agnostic with my tech purchases and ecosystems.

However the drawbacks with android are that there may be more instances of reboots or apps crashing. Also, there's the Speratic software update cycle. They all don't get it the same time.

With iOS, there's a better quality app selection. You also get a really smooth, though limited, experience. As far as customizing and choice goes. And though iOS 8 added a lot, you still get more flexibility with android. The trade off to this is that theoretically, you get less headaches.

But you again have far less hardware options. Want a 1080p screen but in a 5 inch or less handset? Tough luck, Apple only give you that with the 5.5 inch phone. Want wireless charging? Nope.

That's my main reserve with iOS. You have to like whatever they put out. You can't go to another OEM.

I'd like to be able to use a android phone, iPad, and Mac. But this don't sync as well. I won't get continuity or anything. It's a tough choice man.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
So, after giving up on android and thus my htc one M8, I used my upgrade on, I'm now in the tough spot of deciding wether to ride out my 5S for another year (until my att Next upgrade is renewed after paying off the M8) or to pay the 750 dollars for a iPhone 6 64gb. Keep in mind also I'm still stuck making the payments on the M8.

Will the 5S hold up well over the next year as far as performance goes? Or is the 6 worth the extra cost?

But the 6 off contract .... Sell the 5S on eBay and use the cash to pay off the rest of installments and maybe put some cash in your pocket to recoup the cost ... PLUS you're free and clear to use an upgrade to the 6S next year ... That's what I'd do ... What I do every year ... Buy off contract and then sell the old one ... Sold my 64GB 5S for $500 (was a year old) bought 6+ 128GB $999 outright ... $999 - 5S ($500) was $499 and its unlocked ... So next year it'll sell like hotcakes lol come on lifeproof release the 6+ case lol

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I would get the iPhone 6, because I want the bigger screen. However, the 5S is a great phone and it can last for awhile. I'd also rather stick with the number line rather than the S.

Sent from my iPhone 6

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
If the 5S still works I'd keep it rather than go for the 6. I don't think it's worth it unless you have an upgrade.

ihelp77

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
The 5s is a great phone. While the iPhone 6 is tempting , why pay top dollar right now, especially if you don't have the money to do it? There's is so much functionality with the 5s that I doubt you're find the 6 to worth it at this point. Besides you may find that you don't like using the Apple platform compared to the Android...

mrjoeltan

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, I wouldn't upgrade. Not until the 6s or at most, the 7. Although the 6 is a good upgrade, 5s is still a good phone. Only reason I got a 6 from my 5, was because I just wanted it. I saved up from my job during he summer and just bought it outright. If it wasn't for that I would have waited for the 6s.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I can't because I got the m8 on att next. Meaning I can't sell it until I pay it off

Why can't you sell it? You'll be paying for it regardless but why can't you see it? I know with Sprints program you can do whatever you want with that phone as long as you understand you'll still be making payments on it whether it's in your possession or not.

wbeard385

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd hold off on the upgrade. For 5S users the 6 a marginal upgrade. The 5S users get their cake in September no doubt you be glad you waited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
Sell the m8 while there is still value in it since android phone vales drop like bricks and wait until the new iPhone comes out in September

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2