Why Batteries Swell

quotientstech

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I have seen a couple people ask why and/or how a battery swells and what it means. Hopefully you will find this helpful, if you didn't know already:

Your battery swelling means that it is done for. Depending on a number of factors (age of the device, your available budget, etc,) it may be practical to have the battery replaced.

How does this happen?
Usage habits would be the most common. These batteries have a finite number of times that they can be charged (usually several hundred) before they will begin to swell/fail. Once you exceed that number you will notice swelling.

Not using an approved charger would be another. I have had many customers tell me that their aftermarket chargers no longer work on their devices. That, actually, is a good thing. Every device manufacturer goes to great lengths to make sure that we have a quality product to enjoy, so it is always a good idea to use the recommended products and kudos to apple for ensuring that only approved chargers works.

Overcharging is a third cause. There are a number of "smart chargers" out there, and I believe that the OEM Apple Charger is one of those, that will actually stop sending a charge when it detects that the battery is full. If yours does not, charging overnight is a bad idea. Most devices dont actually take more than 6 hours to charge and you would be amazed at what the extra time on the charger can do if it continuously feeds juice into the phone/tablet.

Though not generally an issue with Apple products, overheating can do it too.

This is not an exhaustive list. I do, however, hope that someone out there finds this information useful.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Good info I have seen this in a iPhone 3GS I was repairing. It was so bad it literally warped the logic board into a u shape from the battery pushing up and it actually pushed the screen out.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Red Fummoxed

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Overcharging is a third cause. There are a number of "smart chargers" out there, and I believe that the OEM Apple Charger is one of those, that will actually stop sending a charge when it detects that the battery is full.

This is a function of the phone, not the charger. A simple USB port on a Windows PC will charge an iPhone, and there is absolutely NO circuitry in there that acts as a "smart" charger. Nor is there anything in the little square that comes with the phone. All of the charging is controlled by the phone, so much so that if it determines that the charger can't provide the necessary voltage and current requirements or seems unstable, the device will simply refuse to charge.

Or put another way, you can't overcharge your phone if the phone is working properly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2