Best GPS app?

jairo1daywrk4apple

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone just wondering what the best GPS app for the iphone is? I dont know cause i dont use them but my friend just got his and now hes asking me so help me out!

thanks,
jairo

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
well the built in maps app powered by google does pretty much everything except turn by turn directions.

for turn by turn i recommend the Navigon.

also the TOMtom app works nicely if not slightly higher,

do some research before buying though the GPS apps are usually very pricey

jairo1daywrk4apple

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Cool, thank you all!
and yeah i only use the map from google because its accurate and i dont need the turn by turn directions but some people like it.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Motion X is good, and I've been thinking about this as well. I was considering the tom tom app since it's on sale now for $4o. However, if you buy the app at $40, and then the car dock at $100, you might as well get the stand alone TomTom with lifetime live traffic and map updates for $150.

[URL="https://forums.imore.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fbestbuy.7tiv.net%2Fc%2F221109%2F615614%2F10014%3FsubId1%3DUUimUvbUpU1625512%26subId2%3Dvbim%26u%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.bestbuy.com%252Fsite%252FTomTom%252B-%252BXL%252B350TM%252BGPS%252F9927197.p%253Fid%253D1218196190059%2526skuId%253D9927197%252522&token=eFoTsnHB]Click[/URL]

I think I would just get the stand-alone TomTom. That way if your iPhone looses signal you can still reach your destination.

jairo1daywrk4apple

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hmm thats very true, i've never purchased a gps app for the Iphone because its like, what if you're in the final steps of your destination where its really precise, and then you get a call? and you have to leave the screen and etc
thats why i think apps/gps/games all of them, should have an option to put your phone in some kind of "airplane" mode that allows wifi to still come in, but block text and/or calls if you want them too

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
After using motion x, I can tell you that it is great, until you get to an area where you don't have service, or you have service but no data, then your screwed.

canamera

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Definitely Navigon!!!

Sure it's not cheap, but then again, you get what you pay for, and I guarantee you will not be disappointed with it.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I think I would just get the stand-alone TomTom. That way if your iPhone looses signal you can still reach your destination.

I could be wrong about this but I don't think I am.:rolleyes: GPS Apps like TomTom, I use CoPilot Live, will still give you turn by turn directions even when you are in a "little" to "no" signal area.

I say this because I was traveling in the Hills of North East Alabama once and was still able to use CoPilot when I know for a fact that I had no service and was in fact going in and out of Edge. Even VZ has a hard time in those Hills!:p There was also an article on how this works on TiPB once. It has to do with triangulation with nearby cell towers.:confused: Over my head!

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Oh, well the only GPS app I've used is Motion GPS and it gave in and out as my signal varied. It's been awhile since I've used it though they could have improved it.

jairo1daywrk4apple

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I could be wrong about this but I don't think I am.:rolleyes: GPS Apps like TomTom, I use CoPilot Live, will still give you turn by turn directions even when you are in a "little" to "no" signal area.

I say this because I was traveling in the Hills of North East Alabama once and was still able to use CoPilot when I know for a fact that I had no service and was in fact going in and out of Edge. Even VZ has a hard time in those Hills!:p There was also an article on how this works on TiPB once. It has to do with triangulation with nearby cell towers.:confused: Over my head!

lmao over both our heads!
My friend decided to go with Motionx! He bought it today but i havent asked what he thinks yet! i'll let you all know! as for me, i think the TomTom app or Navigon is my preference

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
After having purchased the TomTom for iPhone app, and gotten lost with it, I cannot recommend. I doubt it was Tom Tom's fault, but rather the weak GPS chip in the iPhone. Suffice to say, as soon as I found out where I was, I drove to best buy, and I bought the Tom Tom XL 350TM. It has lifetime maps, and traffic, and it's awesome. Works very well, and is dead simple to use. Love this thing. Best part? It was only $150 and as previously stated, I have lifetime traffic and maps.

tpreece01

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I have TomTom on my iPhone 4 and it works brilliantly. I've used a standalone TomTom but the app OS much better (due to newer sw with better features). No GPS issues either.

pilotcap#AC

Oct 3, 2009
Visit site
Take OffMaps. It is based upon the OpenStreetMap project, and it works offline. Pretty abroad, You can load Your maps beforehand, with no roaming cost. Google Maps can get VERY expensive in foreign countries...

OffMaps costs about 4 Dollars, and You can download as much maps as your memory can carry. Works flawless, shows Your position, and even gives You the direction when using an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 with compass.