Visit site
WeeMee Avatar Creator, by WeeWorld
$0.99, ****

Pros:

? Easy to use
? Makes fun little avatars

Cons:
? Some of the ?features? are lacking

WeeMee Avatar creator is a cool little avatar creation program, designed solely for the purpose of creating slightly recognizable avatars (which can then be used for things like Twitter or Facebook). The avatar creation process is very straightforward. You start off by choosing either a male or female (which influences the body type options, from what I can tell). You then are presented with a screen which breaks into four ?fields?. On the top, you have your categorical setting, which you can slide back and forth by swiping. This enables you to choose the category that you want to edit ? hair, clothing, body type, eyes, etc.

Below that, you have the ?item selector? setting ? the specific features that you can choose within each category. Unlike the category setting, you can?t swipe here; you must tap to rotate through the various options. Most of the styles to choose from have a wide range of options available. In many categories, you can adjust things like color as well, so you can fine tune some of the details.

Below that you have your main screen, which shows you a preview of the WeeMee you are creating. This is great, so you can see the effect any change has on your WeeMee. Unfortunately, there isn?t a ?go back? button which I would like to see, so you can undo your most recent change. If you add a style or item and decide you don?t want it, you either have to add a different style or item, or go to the ?no item? button within the ?item selector?.

Lastly, at the bottom, you have your main menu features ? with a tab for create, save, gallery, and a new feature called ?closet?. Most of the buttons are self explanatory. The save feature enables you to save the current WeeMee to your gallery. Once in the gallery, you can then export it via email, save it to facebook, send it via twitter, save if to your iPhone gallery, or even assign it directly to a contact. The closet feature is for in-app purchases ? you can buy additional items and options (mostly background, accessories, and clothing, from the looks of it) to assist when creating your WeeMees.

This is a very easy app to use, with simplicity of design and use being the primary goal. One drawback of that is that the WeeMee?s can, at times, not really look like their intended image. For example, there are three body types you can choose from with males, but I couldn?t see any real difference they may on the end product. In addition, you can?t do things like reverse a hairstyle (if someone has a part on the other side) or choose which hand an item (like an iPhone) is found in. While this makes the app easy to use, and easy to make some recognizable WeeMees, it also means that at times you might be stymied (for example, I couldn?t make my WeeMee holding both an iPad and an iPhone).

I really like the range of options when saving a WeeMee. While I wouldn?t post directly to twitter or facebook myself, some people may want to do that. I do wish you have the option of using your own photos (in your iPhone album) as possible background images ? I think that would be pretty easy to do and add a lot to the app, in my opinion. But I can?t argue with how easy it is to create little South Park-like avatars.

All in all, I found this to be an easy to use, entertaining app. If you are really trying to make detailed caricatures of a person, you may find this app limiting, but if you just want to make a simple, somewhat recognizable avatar, this may very well be the best app to use. For only $0.99, you can create new contacts avatars, create avatars for your social networking apps, and just have some fun. Four out of five stars.

Go ahead and post the avatars you create on this thread! I know Rene has one, anyone else?

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating. 

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2