Visit site
Flights of the Hamsters, by Cartoon Network
$0.99, ****

Pros:
  • Light hearted, easy to play game
  • Can be challenging to learn how to fly

Cons:
  • Only one game play mode

Flight of the Hamsters conjures up a wide range of images. Suffice to say, coming from Cartoon Network, the game is probably exactly what you think it is.

In Flight of the Hamsters, your goal is to try to, well?.fling hamsters as far as you can. You start on a springboard, and with correct timing can fling your hamster into the air. Well, hamsters are not flying mammals even in the most vivid imagination, so eventually the hamsters start to fall back to earth. By tapping the screen, you can make your hamster flap his arms, desperately trying to keep aloft for a few more seconds. Ultimately, the hamster hits the ground ? either gliding in gently or with a thud that leaves a crater (depending on how fast and high the hamster falls).

So where does the variation come in? During the flight process (when you can make the hamster flap his arms) you can try to pick up ?flight aids? ? rockets, hamsters balls (that let you bounce), springs in the air, and skateboards (that will let you slide when you land, hopefully to the next springboard where you are once again propelled into the air). By flapping you arms at the right time, you can try to guide your hamster into these object, turning them into flying hamsters for just that much longer.

Ultimately, your hamster lands, and you get a score based on how far they travelled. You repeat this process with five hamsters, and you can then see your total score (total feet travelled) as well as best flight. If you want to beat your score, play again.

As simple as it sounds, this game is surprisingly addictive. Trying to learn how best to flap the arms (and aim your hamster towards the flight aids) is no simple task. Ultimately, the lack of variation is the games downfall. I found that I would play it a few times ? maybe going through two or three trials, but then I would move on. There is no variation on the game play ? no different game modes, no different screens, no multiplayer, so it is very easy to get a little bored by the game after a while.

Having said that, I have found that I opened up the app at least once a day for the past four of five days, just to play it again ? 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there. The game is fun, light hearted, just not a long term game. The graphics are simple, which is well suited for the game design, and the sounds are pretty basic (with Flight of the Valkyries playing).

All in all, for $0.99, the game is not a bad purchase. I really wish there was some sort of multiplayer or alternate game mode, but even without any variety the game can be fun to play. Given that I have continued to play the game, despite any variation, I still have to say that the game has caught my attention. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2