Can I upgrade to an iPhone 7 and then sell it on eBay without activating it?

tobydog1206

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
My brother upgraded to the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB device through Verizon, but he never activated it. Now he wants me to sell it on ebay for him and he will just continue to use his old device. Is that okay to do?

fourthbase

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Yes, eBay is full of upgrades. Pretty sure they won't be locked to the network until you insert the sim for the first time either. Maybe someone else can chime in.

tobydog1206

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
He got the phone at a discount because there is a two year contract. Does it matter what phone he uses? I am not sure if that is DPP or not

johndill17

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Is buying the phone at a discount and a two year contract considered a DPP?

If the phone was bought on contract, then, as I understand it, the carrier can blacklist the phone (make it so it can't ever be used on a network again) if he ever becomes delinquent on his bill (even if he's using a different phone by then), which is why a phone on contract or payment plan shouldn't be sold to someone else without buying out the contract first.

SandersJC1964

May 3, 2016
Visit site
No, if he bought it on contract it wouldn't be clear for resale until the contract is satisfied. Alternately if he is able to transfer an upgrade from an upgrade eligible line to the contract line, then upgrade and get an inexpensive device paying full retail. That may clear it up for sale as the contract would then be associated with the other MDN that the upgrade was transferred from.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2