Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Rmorton0573
  • 1 Post By Quis89
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts

Default Simultaneous voice and data on Sprint

So I'm absolutely loving my iPhone 7 and have no issues. I thought I'd miss the size of the plus, but actually find that the regular 7 is great. Battery life is great and it's so much better being able to use with one hand. Anyway quick question about Sprint itself. Can we not send MMS (picture files) on wifi? Also is there not an option with Sprint to talk and surf the web at the same time? I haven't had Sprint in years and definitely not an iPhone. I've had Verizon and then AT&T for about 5 years or so. I can't remember if this was something I was able to do on Sprint. I know with Verizon and AT&T I can. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: For those with Sprint

Data has to be enabled in order to send/receive MMS.
    And, as long as your data is enabled, you can also talk and surf all at once
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    Data has to be enabled in order to send/receive MMS.
    I tried to do that yesterday (talk and surf data) and I couldn't. Am I missing something?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

Default For those with Sprint

Quote Originally Posted by MBM7881 View Post
    I tried to do that yesterday (talk and surf data) and I couldn't. Am I missing something?
    No you are not missing anything. Sprint has not emplimented VoLTE (Voice over LTE) this is how you can talk and use internet at the same time on a CDMA carrier. You could on WiMax but that is defunct. I don't want to get to technical because this post can get long. Just know if your on the phone you can't use internet. However, if you are on Wi-Fi you can take a call and be on the internet at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmorton0573 View Post
    No you are not missing anything. Sprint has not emplimented VoLTE (Voice over LTE) this is how you can talk and use internet at the same time on a CDMA carrier. You could on WiMax but that is defunct. I don't want to get to technical because this post can get long. Just know if your on the phone you can't use internet. However, if you are on Wi-Fi you can take a call and be on the internet at the same time.
    THIS.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,251 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rmorton0573 View Post
    Oh ok. I got so used to being able to do this on Verizon and AT&T. Thanks for explaining it to me!

Default Re: Simultaneous voice and data on Sprint

I don't have VoLTE and if I'm talking AND browsing at the same time, on data, it switches to 3G.

I don't have VoLTE and if I'm talking AND browsing at the same time, on data, it switches to 3G.
    Interesting. I could never do both at the same time and I had Sprint up until September 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Interesting. I could never do both at the same time and I had Sprint up until September 2015.
    I'm on a Canadian carrier, though.

I'm on a Canadian carrier, though.
    Yes...this is specifically a Sprint limitation in this case. Many other carriers offer this capability. I believe the Galaxy line of devices allow this on Sprint. For some reason, not all of their current smartphones allow it.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    21,868 Global Posts

Only if you're using VoLTE for the call or WIFI for the data connection. Sprint's legacy CDMA network can not do voice and data over the cellular network at the same time.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    21,868 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    Yes...this is specifically a Sprint limitation in this case.
    Happens on Verizon too where there's no VoLTE available...

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Happens on Verizon too where there's no VoLTE available...
    Verizon, at least in my experience, has areas where this is capable. I do this frequently. I was never able to do this on Sprint with my 6S. Didn't matter where I was it seemed like.