16gb enough?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple sold a 5C with 8GB in (at least) some European markets until a couple of months ago.

Edit: seems that they still do. http://www.mediamarkt.be/fr/product/_apple-iphone-5c-8-gb-white-mg8x2nf-a--1371607.html

Apple should be ashamed of themselves.

I stand corrected! Forgot about the 5c. That being said, just because a third party seller is still selling the 5c doesn't mean Apple is still producing it. They EOLed the 5c when the 6 was released.
My wife had an 8GB 5c that served her just fine, by the way. I wouldn't have her using it today but it worked well a few years back.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I stand corrected! Forgot about the 5c. That being said, just because a third party seller is still selling the 5c doesn't mean Apple is still producing it. They EOLed the 5c when the 6 was released.

I suspect they stopped producing the 5C when the 5SE was launched - i.e. just a couple of months ago. Although you don't read about it much, Apple continue to make older iPhone models for quite some time, so they have products to sell at lower price points. Currently produced models seem to be the 6S, 6S+, 6, 6+, 5SE and 5S, with the 5C being withdrawn and old stock now being sold off. You can find that abusive 8GB model at better prices if you shop around. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple still make 4S's for the developing world.

BTW, Media Markt (whose URL I posted) is the largest electronics retailer in Europe, and the 8GB 5C's were prominently on display until recently. I seriously doubt they were old stock late 2014 - was the 8GB version even produced then?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I suspect they stopped producing the 5C when the 5SE was launched - i.e. just a couple of months ago. Although you don't read about it much, Apple continue to make older iPhone models for quite some time, so they have products to sell at lower price points. Currently produced models seem to be the 6S, 6S+, 6, 6+, 5SE and 5S, with the 5C being withdrawn and old stock now being sold off. You can find that abusive 8GB model at better prices if you shop around. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple still make 4S's for the developing world.

BTW, Media Markt (whose URL I posted) is the largest electronics retailer in Europe, and the 8GB 5C's were prominently on display until recently. I seriously doubt they were old stock late 2014 - was the 8GB version even produced then?

Yeah I'm not sure I completely buy that. They stopped production of the 5c in mid-2015 at the latest from what I've read.
Also, there's no such thing as an iPhone 5SE.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I'm not sure I buy that. Please show me one piece of evidence that the 5c was produced after they announced they were stopping production on it in early 2015.
Also, there's no such thing as an iPhone 5SE.

Can you show me one piece of evidence that it wasn't produced until recently?

It could be that Apple produced a glut of 5Cs in late 2014 or early 2015 and then shut the production line, but I also seriously doubt that. Having large inventories of unsold products is very bad for high volume electronics manufacturers, as it ties up large amounts of capital. It's better to produce on a "just in time" basis, as far as possible. Apple are well known for being very good at managing supply and demand.

Similarly, major electronics retailers don't over-order stock to such an extent that it takes them a year to dispose of it, especially products such as iPhones that move quickly and predictably.

And because I know how extremely sensitive people are here, please note that I am not making an anti-Apple point. Quite the opposite. Apart from the question of whether Apple should be selling 8GB phones for 3-400 euros in 2016.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Can you show me one piece of evidence that it wasn't produced until recently?

I cannot, which is why I edited my comment. You must have quoted it prior to my edit though. It was unfair of me to ask that.

My original reply stemmed from your "they should be ashamed of themselves" comment. Why should they? Nobody is being forced to buy an 8GB iPhone and, just like any phone producer, Apple will offer it up if people are still willing to buy it.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I cannot, which is why I edited my comment. You must have quoted it prior to my edit though. It was unfair of me to ask that.

:) My post updated.

My original reply stemmed from your "they should be ashamed of themselves" comment. Why should they? Nobody is being forced to buy an 8GB iPhone and, just like any phone producer, Apple will offer it up if people are still willing to buy it.

Well, that's true. It just seems to me that making a rather useless device (~3GB free for the user) but still expensive (3-400 euros) is a nasty way to treat their least well off customers. I'm guessing that the real reason they made it with 8GB rather than 16GB is to avoid making it too attractive compared to their higher priced products. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair, though. Perhaps it's adequate for kids, and will also avoid that they spend too much on apps.

Anyway, it seems that it's no longer being sold. However, check out this 8GB 4S, available from major retailers in Poland: https://mediamarkt.pl/telefony-i-smartfony/smartfon-apple-iphone-4s-8gb-czarny - it's about 227 euro, or about the same as the new Moto G.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
:) My post updated.

Well, that's true. It just seems to me that making a rather useless device (~3GB free for the user) but still expensive (3-400 euros) is a nasty way to treat their least well off customers. I'm guessing that the real reason they made it with 8GB rather than 16GB is to avoid making it too attractive compared to their higher priced products.

Anyway, it seems that it's no longer being sold. However, check out this 8GB 4S, available in Poland: https://mediamarkt.pl/telefony-i-smartfony/smartfon-apple-iphone-4s-8gb-czarny - it's about 227 euro, or about the same as the new Moto G.

That's crazy. I would think that part of Europe would be offered more up-to-date models at more competitive prices. I am still kind of wondering how much inventory these third-party sellers are holding on to. I can't imagine Apple has churned out a 4s in quite some time.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
That's crazy. I would think that part of Europe would be offered more up-to-date models at more competitive prices. I am still kind of wondering how much inventory these third-party sellers are holding on to. I can't imagine Apple has churned out a 4s in quite some time.

Despite the official story that Apple discountinued the 4S in 2014, I suspect they have been produced much more recently than that. It would really be incompetence on the part of either Apple or major retailers to retain stocks of such a fast moving and predictable product for almost two years. It's not just in Poland - the 4S seems to be widely available around the world.

As I said, Media Markt (which I linked to) is not some small corner shop. It's the second largest electronics retailer in the world.

jayzero76

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
16GB? We are in 2016 and not in 2012 anymore. I bought my little one a iPod touch and oh boy 16GB should not be sold anymore. I can handle that stress anymore always deleting games or pictures. Nobody should sell a 16 GB phone. Well there is one guy and he thinks his mom has enough with 16 GB

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I think personally that 16gb is useless nowadays for young iPhone users, apps requiring much more spaces than ever, photos, videos standard sizes are getting bigger and bigger, the 16gb is not a manageable size specially when taken into consideration than the buyer of 16gb iPhone will actually have about 11gb of free space out of the box. That said, some people who need a phone that works for the most basic things like SMS, phone calls, and maybe find my friends and calendar may do just fine with 16gb, those people could be, old parents, business people who do not have time to play with iPhone and store everything on their iPad or computer etc...
At the other hand, I see the presence of 16gb in the market as a marketing strategy by Apple, because the presence of 16gb on the market give a solid value to the 64gb, while the 16gb is the entrance flavor when it comes to iPhone storage. If Apple remove 16gb from the market, the value of the 64gb will drop as it will become the entrance flavor in terms of storage. I mean, when you know 16gb is around and is not enough, you will easily agree to pay more for 64gb, but if 16gb is not available as an option, you will complain why 64gb is that expensive? You only know the value of something when you can compare it to something worse than it.
I too hope that Apple finally set either 32gb or 64gb as entrance storage and let die the 16gb. Like @jayzero76 said, we are in 2016, soon 2017. This entire 16gb could have made sense to me if there was an easy way provided by Apple to expand the physical storage like inserting a flash storage, or swapping changing the internal storage drive into a bigger one if needed. But that's not the case, so yes 16gb is not a storage to have on a smartphone these days.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
16GB? We are in 2016 and not in 2012 anymore. I bought my little one a iPod touch and oh boy 16GB should not be sold anymore. I can handle that stress anymore always deleting games or pictures. Nobody should sell a 16 GB phone. Well there is one guy and he thinks his mom has enough with 16 GB

I think personally that 16gb is useless nowadays for young iPhone users, apps requiring much more spaces than ever, photos, videos standard sizes are getting bigger and bigger, the 16gb is not a manageable size specially when taken into consideration than the buyer of 16gb iPhone will actually have about 11gb of free space out of the box. That said, some people who need a phone that works for the most basic things like SMS, phone calls, and maybe find my friends and calendar may do just fine with 16gb, those people could be, old parents, business people who do not have time to play with iPhone and store everything on their iPad or computer etc...
At the other hand, I see the presence of 16gb in the market as a marketing strategy by Apple, because the presence of 16gb on the market give a solid value to the 64gb, while the 16gb is the entrance flavor when it comes to iPhone storage. If Apple remove 16gb from the market, the value of the 64gb will drop as it will become the entrance flavor in terms of storage. I mean, when you know 16gb is around and is not enough, you will easily agree to pay more for 64gb, but if 16gb is not available as an option, you will complain why 64gb is that expensive? You only know the value of something when you can compare it to something worse than it.
I too hope that Apple finally set either 32gb or 64gb as entrance storage and let die the 16gb. Like @jayzero76 said, we are in 2016, soon 2017. This entire 16gb could have made sense to me if there was an easy way provided by Apple to expand the physical storage like inserting a flash storage, or swapping changing the internal storage drive into a bigger one if needed. But that's not the case, so yes 16gb is not a storage to have on a smartphone these days.

Both of my boys have 16 GB iPads. I didn't purchase them that way; they were handed down. We make it work but it's tough. They have no videos or music on their devices which helps. There are definitely sacrifices made to ensure that enough storage space is left for the iPads to operate. Not recommended but certainly doable if it's the only option.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It's fine, I have the apps that I need and use on a regular basis. I occasionally try apps but eh, I'm good.

Unless you mean when it comes to customization, maybe I haven't.

I couldn't imagine one would be talking customization because there really is no contest in that arena. IOS is one of the least customizable. Which isn't always a bad thing. It's been my main OS for the past few years.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

True. That is like purchasing a computer that has a 30gb hard drive.

Deihmos1

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
We get a deal with my wifes employer where we get 16gb iPhone 6s for nothing up front on new contracts. I am a fairly heavy user...she, not so much...Can we get away with using 16gb phones? or should I pony up and get the 64s for 130 each?

Do not get a 16gb. It is pathetic they even sell them. There is no way to set the video resolution so memory is used up quickly then they try to sell you iCloud.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to Apple's appalling iTunes software, I gave up copying photos, music, films, etc to my iPad, so 16GB is fine. If you're buying a phone or tablet with a different OS, though, you should consider more.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Although it appears the OP has made his decision, it looks like the general consensus is that 16 GB is a "Only if you have no other options since there are ways to make it work" option. But lets be honest....when you have an iPhone, who wants to "make it work"? You'll get the best experience when you don't have to worry about things such as storage.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Although it appears the OP has made his decision, it looks like the general consensus is that 16 GB is a "Only if you have no other options since there are ways to make it work" option. But lets be honest....when you have an iPhone, who wants to "make it work"? You'll get the best experience when you don't have to worry about things such as storage.

This is why it's so bad that Apple still make 8GB iOS devices. 16GB will be enough for many, and most could probably make it work. But 8GB (meaning <3GB free for the user) is just going to lead to disappointment and resentment, for what is still not a cheap device.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2