Why does my 6s not charge in the car with this case?

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Last month when I was in Walt Disney World I purchased the following case for my brand new iPhone 6s.

91w%2BSnLWWcL._SL1500_.jpg

However for some reason whenever I try to charge it in my car it won't work and I came to the conclusion that it has to do with the case and I'm wondering what is the reason for this? I'm using the exact same car charger I had for my iPhone 5 and it worked without any problems with the case I had for it that I purchased at the Apple Store. Plus my 6s also charges in my house with the case being on. So whenever I need to charge it in the car I need to take off the case. It's not the biggest deal, although it's a minor annoyance having to take it off and putting it back on.

BB-JAM215

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
The most likely cause is that the case is preventing the cable connector from being properly inserted into the phone. You may need to enlarge the opening slightly.

tmlfan4life

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Is the cable in the car the exact same cable as in the house?
No they are not. The charger I use in my house is the one which came with my 6s. The car charger is one I purchased at BestBuy, however it's the same car charger I used when I had an iPhone 5 and it works on my 6s when there is no case on it.

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
That's probably why. The plug on the car charger is probably slightly bigger and just unable to fit all the way into the case

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Buy a car charger with USB ports and a genuine Apple lightning cable and you will be able to charge fine with the case.

IAmSixNine

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Its likely that the plug was made slightly larger just below the tip. They may have made it that way to give a better grip when plugging and unplugging from the phone since its a car charger. Basically they made it a bit more durable and the added girth wont allow it to fit into the small hole the case has. Like others have mentioned try widening the hold slightly or using a USB charger with an OEM lightening cable.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
No they are not. The charger I use in my house is the one which came with my 6s. The car charger is one I purchased at BestBuy, however it's the same car charger I used when I had an iPhone 5 and it works on my 6s when there is no case on it.

The case you just bought is blocking the cable from being fully plugged into the port.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2