Removing "Documents & Data" and "Others"

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

I connected my phone to iTunes and found out that "Documents & Data" and "Others" were taking almost 2GB of storage space. What are they? As is there a way to clear them out?
Thanks =)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Documents should be rather self explanatory... data - is app user data and non-system app settings, etc... and other is cache data for Safari, and other apps that store transient things... "Other" can often be minimized via restoring your device from a backup, or a flat out iOS restore.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hmm. I am not using Safari and I do not have any documents, photos/videos or songs on my phone.
And is 'app user data' stuff like saved passwords, app settings and such?

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Oh, okay. And how so I delete that? (The 'Documents & Data' part).

Clearing app cache within each individual app which is reliant on whether or not the developer implemented that feature. If they don't then the easiest way is to delete the app and re-install it if the 2 gigs is that much of a burden.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Clearing app cache within each individual app which is reliant on whether or not the developer implemented that feature. If they don't then the easiest way is to delete the app and re-install it if the 2 gigs is that much of a burden.

Awesome, thanks! Is there a way to see which app's cache takes the most place so I can know which one to reinstall?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately no. Facebook and Tumblr are usually big culprits if you use them.

Awwrr shoot. Fortunately enough, I do not use them (beside my browser for Facebook).
Ok so I will start reinstalling my apps, then!
(I guess the ones being used the most are worse than others due to more data being saved).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Awwrr shoot. Fortunately enough, I do not use them (beside my browser for Facebook).
(I guess the ones being used the most are worse than others due to more data being saved).

If you use TapaTalk, it's a huge cache culprit. Worse than Facebook. Mine was at 1.6 gb yesterday. There's an in app cache delete in the TapaTalk Settings. You can see how apps grow in size by going to Settings >General >Usage >Manage storage >Tap on an app> look at the size at the top and compare with the bottom amount.

d6fc960d67ba1f253f9b8abe39081451.jpg

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Removing "Documents & Data" and "Others"

How about Instapaper or any other "read it later" type apps. Also apps for reading RSS feeds like Flipboard, Reeder, and many others. Those often cache articles.

Oh. I am an avid Flipboard user x.x

If you use TapaTalk, it's a huge cache culprit. Worse than Facebook. Mine was at 1.6 gb yesterday. There's an in app cache delete in the TapaTalk Settings. You can see how apps grow in size by going to Settings >General >Usage >Manage storage >Tap on an app> look at the size at the top and compare with the bottom amount.

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/06/d6fc960d67ba1f253f9b8abe39081451.jpg

Woah! That is good to know! Thanks a bunch :D
I was totally unaware of these x.x

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Oh. I am an avid Flipboard user x.x

Woah! That is good to know! Thanks a bunch :D
I was totally unaware of these x.x

About documents stored by iCloud.
This:
Documents stored in iCloud may include: your contacts, e-mails, calendar appointments, photographs and movies from the camera, data from apps which choose to make use of iCloud storage for miscellaneous storage (SoundHound stores data on iCloud, for example), spreadsheets, Notes from the Notepad, movies from iMovie app. You're [nearly] always in control of what gets stored there. In other words, you're not forced to keep your contacts in iCloud?or any of the other types of documents.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

About documents stored by iCloud.
This:
Documents stored in iCloud may include: your contacts, e-mails, calendar appointments, photographs and movies from the camera, data from apps which choose to make use of iCloud storage for miscellaneous storage (SoundHound stores data on iCloud, for example), spreadsheets, Notes from the Notepad, movies from iMovie app. You're [nearly] always in control of what gets stored there. In other words, you're not forced to keep your contacts in iCloud?or any of the other types of documents.

I thought we were, hehe!
But why is it showing on iTunes and on my device, if it is iCloud storage? It should not negatively affect my phone's storage. I have a few notes and deleted my emails. So I have my calendar appointments and my contacts in iCloud.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I thought we were, hehe!
But why is it showing on iTunes and on my device, if it is iCloud storage? It should not negatively affect my phone's storage. I have a few notes and deleted my emails. So I have my calendar appointments and my contacts in iCloud.

It doesn't so much in iCloud. Not your phone's storage. Just your iCloud storage. But not a lot. App cache is what to look for. They can grow quickly. Some, like Facebook, you just have to delete and reinstall from time to time if space is an issue. I use Box for storing photos, videos, gifs and png images. It has a "Delete cache" option. Most apps don't. You can clear cache using the app, Battery Doctor.
Battery Doctor - Must-have Battery Management App by KS Mobile, Inc.
https://appsto.re/us/gRZTK.i

Another thing you can do to make more space is keep messages deleted. Especially those with photos and videos. Email too. Email doesn't take much space unless it contains pics and videos. Where are you having storage space issues?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

It doesn't so much in iCloud. Not your phone's storage. Just your iCloud storage. But not a lot. App cache is what to look for. They can grow quickly. Some, like Facebook, you just have to delete and reinstall from time to time if space is an issue. I use Box for storing photos, videos, gifs and png images. It has a "Delete cache" option. Most apps don't. You can clear cache using the app, Battery Doctor.
Battery Doctor - Must-have Battery Management App by KS Mobile, Inc.
https://appsto.re/us/gRZTK.i

Another thing you can do to make more space is keep messages deleted. Especially those with photos and videos. Email too. Email doesn't take much space unless it contains pics and videos. Where are you having storage space issues?

On my phone. But I really do not know why, anymore. Beside apps (and three small games like Panda Pop and Bejeweled, it is empty. I uninstalled Flipboard, Facebook and Messenger too.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Have you tried clearing your browser website data?

Shawn Schrader

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
There isn't much talk about these apps anymore. But I had gotten cc cleaner before was pulled also battery doctor can delete some junk might not be much tho but any big helps

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

There isn't much talk about these apps anymore. But I had gotten cc cleaner before was pulled also battery doctor can delete some junk might not be much tho but any big helps

There is Cleaner Master Pro as well. Does the same as Battery Doctor but also cleans duplicate contacts. $2.99 Battery Doctor is free I think.
I had C M Security until I upgraded to the 6s Plus. It's still on my 5. Not sure why it was pulled. Battery Doctor does the same thing afaik.