Why does my iPhone 6sPlus not utilize the Unknown Senders in Messages?

Clueless1956

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I have asked this question many times in Apple Community Support, Apple On Line support, and Verizon support. And nobody has ever had an answer. I also had the same problem with my iPhone 5S. Now, I'm not talking about Messenger (that I have linked to FaceBook). A lot of people get the two mixed up. I m asking about the 'Messages' app.
When you open the app to check for messages, you can see at the top there is a place that says 'Contacts & SMS', and right next to it is a place that says 'Unknown Senders'. My understanding of this unknown box, was for messages from anyone NOT in your contact list. I may be wrong since the first box includes SMS. ??? I really started paying attention to that part, when I started getting a LOT of spam messages. Maybe a couple years ago. Some came from senders that included a phone number. But a huge amount came with just a few numbers. (Like when your bank or someplace sends you a retrieval code) At one point I got very spooked because a couple of the "messages" I got posted my home address. The only answers I got from Apple and Verizon was that I should not put my email addy or other personal info on any forms I had to fill out. (Let's just pretend I didn't have to submit the same info to both of them) But, that was that. No answer about why I was getting unfiltered messages.
So....Even though I realize I'm a newbie, I thought I would ask you all. Does anyone know if I have missed a setting somewhere that I can go to and fix it? Or maybe there is a super secret link I can use to reroute these messages? I keep thinking there has to be something I didn't do right?
If anyone here knows what I'm talking about, and especially how to fix it, I will be so grateful!
Thanks a bunch!
Barb M. :)