First iPhone some basic questions please help!

Danny Long2

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Just got the 6S plus yesterday having had a nexus. Bit of a culture shock. I'm struggling with some basic things.

1. When I take a picture say in portrait and view it back it has a black bar at the bottom and top

2. Really missing the back button as it's often at the top on iOS and is hard to reach!

3. Can the mute switch be used to lock orientation?

4. Is it possible to type to with sliding finger over keys like android?

5. Is it possible to put hash key on main keyboard for Twitter use? Currently it's several taps away.

6. Any good apps for 3D Touch

7. Can a fast charger be bought like a turbo charger for nexus

Thank you all!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! See my answers to your questions below:

1. When I take a picture say in portrait and view it back it has a black bar at the bottom and top

This is normal. The phone resizes the photo to standard photo dimensions.

2. Really missing the back button as it's often at the top on iOS and is hard to reach!

It takes getting used to but you won't miss the back button for long. You can soft double tap (don't actually press, just tap your finger) on the home button and it will bring the top of the screen down for you to reach it more easily. In iOS it's referred to as Reachability.

3. Can the mute switch be used to lock orientation?

That feature has been removed. However you can slide up from the bottom of the screen to bring up the control center and lock rotation from there by tapping on the button that looks like a pad lock with a rotating circle around it.

4. Is it possible to type to with sliding finger over keys like android?

The default iOS keyboard doesn't have this feature but you can download and install a third party keyboard like Swiftkey. Here's a link:
SwiftKey Keyboard + Emoji by SwiftKey
https://appsto.re/us/qWsw2.i

5. Is it possible to put hash key on main keyboard for Twitter use? Currently it's several taps away.

The keys on the stock keyboard cannot be moved or changed but will adjust themselves based on certain apps. For example, if you're using the Twitter app you should see a hashtag button on the lower, right hand corner of the keyboard.

6. Any good apps for 3D Touch

We've started a great thread for that:
http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6s-plus/344629-3d-touch-enabled-apps.html

7. Can a fast charger be bought like a turbo charger for nexus

You can use a 10W or 12W charger with the 6s Plus with no issues.

I hope this helps. If you think of anything else feel free to ask!

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore Danny

DevilishBanker has covered all your questions but if you have anymore feel free to ask. We are all very eager to help

Enjoy your new device and Post Often

Danny Long2

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks for this.

1. Still a bit baffled with this why don't they fill that lovely big screen!

7. Is it watts to look out for or amps? On my nexus it was amps so the amps were over 5.

Build quality is excellent a lot of money though main criticism is the wasted space above and below the screen

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Also , in most apps and settings menu you slide from the left edge of the screen to the right and that will take you back to the previous screen.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Many thanks for this.

1. Still a bit baffled with this why don't they fill that lovely big screen!

7. Is it watts to look out for or amps? On my nexus it was amps so the amps were over 5.

Build quality is excellent a lot of money though main criticism is the wasted space above and below the screen

I can see where you're coming from with the aspect of the photos. That being said, I think that 16 X 9 photos would look awkward outside of the phone, and a ton of clipping would have to occur in order to make prints.

Apple rates their OEM power adapters by watts. For example, the adapter that comes stock with the iPhone is rated at 5w. Apple offers an upgraded adapter that is rated 12w. I'm not sure what the amp ratings are but I'm sure you can find them with a little searching. I have a Naztech Turbine 6 USB Power Hub that I use at home to charge multiple devices at once and it provides a really quick charge. I'm sure you'll see that the iPhones recharge pretty quickly as they are.

Keep the questions coming!

Danny Long2

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks.

1. When sliding up from bottom it brings a kind of quick menu up. On android it's pull down. Can that menu be customised in any way? I might be getting a bit android here! :)

2. Can Live Photos be shared with a non iOS user ?

3. Does apple do anything like Google now so on a day of my flight it pulled like an itinerary up from my emails. Spooky but useful!

Regards

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

1. When sliding up from bottom it brings a kind of quick menu up. On android it's pull down. Can that menu be customised in any way? I might be getting a bit android here! :)

2. Can Live Photos be shared with a non iOS user ?

3. Does apple do anything like Google now so on a day of my flight it pulled like an itinerary up from my emails. Spooky but useful!

Regards

1. The control center cannot be customized. Sorry!
2. You can share Live Photos but they will be shared as normal, still images.
3. You bet. Make sure you pull down on the Notification Center and enable both the today summary and the traffic widgets. I don't think it will read through your email though, but if the Mail app sees a traffic itinerary it should populate a shortcut at the top of the email to have it added to your calendar.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk