Why do people Jailbreak their i-Devices?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I do it so I can theme my phone. I also love tweaks like Tage. You can double tap your screen to lock it and swipe up app to exit out of them. I also like to change my fonts. There are other tweak I love like Barrel but I mainly do it do I can personal my phone like Apple doesn't want me too.

Jeff0138

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I used to jailbreak my iPhones and android devices all the time before I started to think about how potentially insecure I was making the devices. This hold true even more so today with features like Apple Pay. I would never want to compromise the security of a device that houses that type of info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I used to jailbreak my iPhones and android devices all the time before I started to think about how potentially insecure I was making the devices. This hold true even more so today with features like Apple Pay. I would never want to compromise the security of a device that houses that type of info.

That's a good consideration.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
My reasons:
-To get rid of annoyances (vibrating when plugged in to charge)
-To change the looks of iOS (theming, taking away app names on the icon for a clean look)
- To change my default browser
- To lock individual apps with touch I.D
-To speed up animation/ take away delays
- And other things that the stock OS won't let me do like moving multiple icons and having a guest mode

Mostly because I can

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
The last time I jailbroke my phone was back when I had an iPhone 5. I did it because of three tweaks. A tweak that allowed me to geofence a location for where I wanted the screen lock pass code to be disabled, now redundant with TouchID. A tweak that added in more info to my notification bar, now redundant with the latest iteration of iOS; and a tweak that allowed me to reply to SMS messages right from my Lock screen, also now redundant via iOS updates. I simply have no other reason to jailbreak my device now.

Headgame

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Re: Why do people Jailbreak

Just keep in mind that 99% of the malware that exists for iOS devices only affects jailbroken devices. Just some food for thought.

As for myself, during my brief stint with Android a few years ago, the big appeal was the whole 'freedom' and 'customization' aspect that came with it. However, I found out that the customization hook got old real quick. So I can make custom icons, whoop dee do. It doesn't help that most of the custom themes people came up with were ugly as sin compared to stock.

Be specific. Exactly what malware are you referring to?

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I love the jailbreak that allows you to remove the dock background, have non-standard icon arrangements, monochrome icons, and display weather widgets. Those are all the customizations I had on my jailbroken 5s'. ...looking forward to that for my 6+.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Just keep in mind that 99% of the malware that exists for iOS devices only affects jailbroken devices. Just some food for thought.

If you're going to look at that direction, you should also note that most security fixes come from the jailbreak community. After all, as they're finding vulnerabilities to exploit, this shows Apple where they've made mistakes. There have been HUGE vulnerabilities that could impact all iOS users maliciously that have been fixed for JB first and then iOS when Apple reacted.

You're also using a percentage to overstate the problem. 100% of unicorns live in Sweden. Does that mean we should all be taking a quick trip to Sweden to see these unicorns? Or, should we realize that 100% of 0 is still a pretty small number?

It's not wrong to point out jailbreaking opens you up to that possibility. It is, however, a stretch to word it as you did making it sound like a virtual certainty. The chances are minimally greater. For 99% of users, it's a non-factor.

dimitrist

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site

tweaking and customization, iOS has come long ways but still like to be able to customize my device the way I want.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

If you're going to look at that direction, you should also note that most security fixes come from the jailbreak community. After all, as they're finding vulnerabilities to exploit, this shows Apple where they've made mistakes. There have been HUGE vulnerabilities that could impact all iOS users maliciously that have been fixed for JB first and then iOS when Apple reacted.

You're also using a percentage to overstate the problem. 100% of unicorns live in Sweden. Does that mean we should all be taking a quick trip to Sweden to see these unicorns? Or, should we realize that 100% of 0 is still a pretty small number?

It's not wrong to point out jailbreaking opens you up to that possibility. It is, however, a stretch to word it as you did making it sound like a virtual certainty. The chances are minimally greater. For 99% of users, it's a non-factor.

I honestly don't think it was worded that badly...it is true, nearly all malware related to iOS also only targets jailbroken devices, so while his "99%" number may not have been technically accurate, it generally represents the actual problem pretty well.

I didn't get a reference of how likely you are to get malware from his post at all...just that it primarily effects jailbroken devices (which is 100% accurate).

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but I haven't seen any unicorns in Sweden.

Jail breaking IS a risk. Can't argue about that.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

wbertacchini

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
The only reason I would like to jail break my iPhone would be to allow me to feather my phone to my tablet, which isn't allowed on my current prepaid plan.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't think it was worded that badly...it is true, nearly all malware related to iOS also only targets jailbroken devices, so while his "99%" number may not have been technically accurate, it generally represents the actual problem pretty well.

I didn't get a reference of how likely you are to get malware from his post at all...just that it primarily effects jailbroken devices (which is 100% accurate).

I'm not sure how you wouldn't get a reference from that. If it's something to consider, it should be enough of a risk to be worthy of consideration. If not, it's not worth mentioning.

I'm sorry but I haven't seen any unicorns in Sweden.

Jail breaking IS a risk. Can't argue about that.
If we apply that logic universally, using any phone is a risk. Therefore, we should stop. Everything carries risk. I didn't try to suggest otherwise. I merely pointed out the increase in risk is negligible. If you're deciding between two phones that are nearly identical. One has a 12hr battery life. One has a 12hr 5 minute battery life, would you be concerned about the 5 minutes or would you focus on other aspects? It's essentially the same conversation here. The "increased" risk isn't enough that it should be a decisive factor. I can VERY easily argue that.

Even with that said, I still believe the original poster shouldn't jailbreak. It's clearly something they aren't interested in. They shouldn't do so just because a friend of theirs enjoys doing so.

WP7Nettwerk

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I did jailbreak on first gen and 3G iPhone. It was interesting to learn something new. But I get tired every iOS release have to wait new jailbreak and setup everything new. I'm old for this ****. Yeah I make some themes for iPhone. If you search in google you will finde some.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77