Photo question

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to zoom to take a picture?
I was camping this weekend and I tried to take pics of various wildlife from a distance, but the only way I found to zoom was AFTER the pic was taken, by cropping the photo.
That makes the end result pretty blurry.
Is there a way to do it like with a standard camera, zoom THEN take the pic?

missy8787

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Yea u can when ur in camera mode ready to take a picture you pinch the screen and move up and it should zoom in and out

mulcahyd

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Try pinch to zoom method. I always use this method to capture some close ups of the object.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk 

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to zoom to take a picture?
I was camping this weekend and I tried to take pics of various wildlife from a distance, but the only way I found to zoom was AFTER the pic was taken, by cropping the photo.
That makes the end result pretty blurry.
Is there a way to do it like with a standard camera, zoom THEN take the pic?

Zoom before taking a picture works identically to zooming in after you've taken the picture...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Karen is right. Zooming or cropping a photo on the iPhone will result in loss of quality. The more zoom, the worse the photo becomes.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I noticed that. This is a pic of an Osprey in its nest atop a tree. I took a bunch and tried to get a clear one but couldn't.

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1429622409.077698.jpg

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Digital zoom is a really crappy option in my opinion, and it is the industry standard on smart phones (obviously because of continued demands for smaller phone chassis'), but also on many point and shoots (and that just boggles my mind because usually for just a hair more you can start on a DSLR kit that will run circles around ANY point and shoot).

I hate digital zoom.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Digital zoom is a really crappy option in my opinion, and it is the industry standard on smart phones (obviously because of continued demands for smaller phone chassis'), but also on many point and shoots (and that just boggles my mind because usually for just a hair more you can start on a DSLR kit that will run circles around ANY point and shoot).

I hate digital zoom.

Yep, and that's why I keep my trusted old Nikon D90 around.