Hanging issue with Mail in iOS 8 anyone?

TheINTJ

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that my email hangs pretty badly in iOS 8 and will only let me know i've gotten emails once I actively enter the app, whether from the multitasking try or completely closed status. A similar issue happened to me for a short time when I had my iPhone 4, after updating to iOS 5 or 6 I believe, but instead I would have to kill the app from multitasking and all my emails would push. An update eventually fixed it though.

I don't know why this is hanging, I'm thinking I may delete all accounts and re-enter them to see if that fixes the issue.

Wondering if anybody else is having this issue?

Just for info I have a iPhone 6, running 8.0.2 on VZW. I'm just using the stock mail app AND all my accounts are Google Apps for Business and Education, so I have them setup under Exchange so that I can receive push email without having to use Google's own Gmail app. Paid google apps accounts are the only one's that still support Exchange Activesync, so I know that I don't have it setup wrong.

jprice912

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I am also having this same issue. I'm using MS Exchange with a Google Apps account and I'm not receiving notifications of new emails when they come in even though its set to push. The second I open Mail, all my emails start coming in, then it will work fine for awhile, but start hanging again.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that my email hangs pretty badly in iOS 8 and will only let me know i've gotten emails once I actively enter the app, whether from the multitasking try or completely closed status. A similar issue happened to me for a short time when I had my iPhone 4, after updating to iOS 5 or 6 I believe, but instead I would have to kill the app from multitasking and all my emails would push. An update eventually fixed it though.

I don't know why this is hanging, I'm thinking I may delete all accounts and re-enter them to see if that fixes the issue.

Wondering if anybody else is having this issue?

Just for info I have a iPhone 6, running 8.0.2 on VZW. I'm just using the stock mail app AND all my accounts are Google Apps for Business and Education, so I have them setup under Exchange so that I can receive push email without having to use Google's own Gmail app. Paid google apps accounts are the only one's that still support Exchange Activesync, so I know that I don't have it setup wrong.

Do you have the notification banners turned on in the notification settings ? My advice is ... Delete accounts, add again ... If prob still exists ... Backup without email accounts restore / recover backup and add accounts again ... If it's still an issue ... Restore again ... Setup as new and re add

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You may have fetch set on manual. Set it to every hour or less. Go to Settings >Mail Contacts Calendars>Fetch New Accounts >Toggle Push On, Scroll down and set on hourly or less. Not manually! Set each account to fetch, not manual.

TheINTJ

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
You may have fetch set on manual. Set it to every hour or less. Go to Settings >Mail Contacts Calendars>Fetch New Accounts >Toggle Push On, Scroll down and set on hourly or less. Not manually! Set each account to fetch, not manual.

I do have fetch set to manual, but I purposely set it that way because all the accounts on my phone are push anyway. I didn't want the mail app to be needlessly fetching at intervals and wasting battery when it doesn't have to. Out of curiosity why have you found fetch being set to manual for each account to affect how each account handles push email? I haven't heard of that before and i'm interested to know. Thank you!

TheINTJ

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the notification banners turned on in the notification settings ? My advice is ... Delete accounts, add again ... If prob still exists ... Backup without email accounts restore / recover backup and add accounts again ... If it's still an issue ... Restore again ... Setup as new and re add

I do have the notification banners turned on and in fact I have different notification alerts set up for each individual account so that I can know which account i'm being emailed on without even taking the phone out my pocket. However, this has been an issue on all my accounts. There seems to be a hang up between the server and the application/device. Thanks for your help, I'll definitely delete each account and add them back, that was going to be my next step. But I thought I'd see if anyone else was experiencing these issues in an effort to rule everything out. Also, go Brown! I'm a Seahawks fan but my wife is from Cleveland. I push for the Browns on the low hahaha.

iJuan

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed this too, I didn't get any of my emails until I physically opened the app, thought it was Outlook!
Glad it wasn't just me 😅

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Same issue for my outlook.com email ID. It works great for a few days and then I have to delete and re-add.
I have tried setting it up , both as an exchange account and also through the outlook default settings, however it stops working in either cases.
Had the same problem earlier on a zohomail id and exchange online email id.
My conclusion was and still is, that ios and activesync have trouble co-habitating :eek:

I hope Apple incorporates IMAP IDLE in the mail.app.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77