Camera Orientation issues

Josh K

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Verizon 64gb iPhone +:

My camera seems to be having issues with the correct orientation. I emailed a photo yesterday and it came out upside down even though on my phone it showed up ok. When I Facetime, although I see myself as right side up, the other person sometimes sees me upside down.

Anyone else with similar issues?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Verizon 64gb iPhone +:

My camera seems to be having issues with the correct orientation. I emailed a photo yesterday and it came out upside down even though on my phone it showed up ok. When I Facetime, although I see myself as right side up, the other person sometimes sees me upside down.

Anyone else with similar issues?

Assuming this is your first iPhone, this is an issue that has presented itself since the iPhone 4 I believe...it has to do with the orientation of your device when taking pictures. When the volume rocker is pointed down, this is considered the "right side up" for photography, and will lend itself to your pictures being uploaded as such...your phone saves the files as they are taken, so instead of sitting there and trying to figure out forced orientation, it just saves it as is, and you end up, sometimes, with pictures that are flipped upside down if that is how they were taken.

You can do a couple of things...A.) You can take your pictures in the other orientation from now on so your uploads are not sent upside down, or B.) Use an editing software or uploading site to fix the issue in post.

This isn't specific to the 6/6+...it's been happening for years!

orangeman

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I took a video tonight that came out sideways. I thought that was impossible. Photos, yes. But videos should either be tall or wide, but never sideways.

Josh K

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your response.

I've had an iPhone for years but never came across this issue or at least never noticed it. Maybe because the fact that the iPhone 6 + screen today's in all four directions I tend to hold it the wrong way,while with the others I did not?

Also,that would not explain why when using Facetime the person I was talking to saw me upside down while I saw myself right side up....

Josh K

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Assuming this is your first iPhone, this is an issue that has presented itself since the iPhone 4 I believe...it has to do with the orientation of your device when taking pictures. When the volume rocker is pointed down, this is considered the "right side up" for photography, and will lend itself to your pictures being uploaded as such...your phone saves the files as they are taken, so instead of sitting there and trying to figure out forced orientation, it just saves it as is, and you end up, sometimes, with pictures that are flipped upside down if that is how they were taken.

You can do a couple of things...A.) You can take your pictures in the other orientation from now on so your uploads are not sent upside down, or B.) Use an editing software or uploading site to fix the issue in post.

This isn't specific to the 6/6+...it's been happening for years!

Thanks for your response.

I've had an iPhone for years but never came across this issue or at least never noticed it. Maybe because the fact that the iPhone 6 + screen today's in all four directions I tend to hold it the wrong way,while with the others I did not?

Also,that would not explain why when using Facetime the person I was talking to saw me upside down while I saw myself right side up....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No idea on FaceTime...I've never heard of an issue like that. I was simply reflecting why your photos, at times, can turn out upside down when emailing or even when uploading to sites like Imgur or the like.

As far as videos coming out sideways, again...that's a new one on me. I shot a video tonight at the ball game and it came out fine and I even flipped the phone mid way through to see how it would react and it simply oriented itself again.