How 'future proof' are the iPhone 5s and iPad Air?

leepierre

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Whatsup guys? :) Just bought a 5s and Air and i've read articles online saying that both the devices are 'future proof'. What does it really mean? Opinions guys? :D Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
With the 64 bit A7 processor on both of these two products, I will say both of them will last for a good long time, and more so for iPad Air since people do take care of iPads more in general given the fact they usually use the phone a little more ruggedly and frequently.

anon(161369)

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the only downside here would be that applications became optimized for more memory(ram) but beyond that we are gonna be pretty good, cheers and enjoy your new iOS devices, I did the same thing at the beginning of the month and it's a nice experience =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If we're talking general support and firmware updates, I think you're usually safe for about 3 generations before feature support becomes lacking, and then non-existent. The iPhone 4 was still able to run iOS 7, though limited with the feature set it was capable of supporting with the update. That would have been 3 generations before the iPhone 5S (or between 3-4 years).

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Whatsup guys? :) Just bought a 5s and Air and i've read articles online saying that both the devices are 'future proof'. What does it really mean? Opinions guys? :D Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums
Enjoy your new iDevices, they should be around for awhile.

tinktink09is

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the only downside here would be that applications became optimized for more memory but beyond that we are gonna be pretty good, cheers and enjoy your new iOS devices, I did the same thing at the beginning of the month and it's a nice experience =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point! However, those with 64GB devices should have no worries. ;)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77