Help: song as ringtone?

kevinarguello

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, so far I've read topics about how to put songs as ringtones with our friend Google search, but the process looks uber-complicated just for me to put a song from my collection as a ringtone.

Is there any other (easier) way to do it? The way I've read about works by using iTunes on our laptop and take different steps to convert the song to a different format and whatnot and all that.

May be a newbie question but as you guys know, I'm new to iPhone and I'm not all the way familiar with it. Coming from Android where you just click on a song and "set as ringtone" this means a hole different world to me.

Thanks!

psiclne

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
The file has to be M4R file. Theres a bunch of free converters online that you can use. Once converted you can add it to itunes.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There's really only the iTunes process in the end...it seems very complicated from the outside, but once you've done it a couple of times, it's honestly not really all that complicated at all. Try it a couple of times and see if you can get the hang of it. Arguably, there should be a quicker and less labor intensive way of doing this, but alas, it is what it is (in a world where Apple is trying to make money off selling you a ringtone vs. you just making it yourself for free, lol).

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Got it, I'll try the way Apple makes us do it I guess. Thanks peeps

It's certainly not optimal, but at least it gets you around having to pay...this is one facet of the iPhone that I was always frustrated with. Logic tells me that as a business, they're never going to make this process easy for the consumer...but charging for ringtones is just such a petty thing in this day and age of smart phones. Grumble grumble grumble...lol.

kevinarguello

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
It's certainly not optimal, but at least it gets you around having to pay...this is one facet of the iPhone that I was always frustrated with. Logic tells me that as a business, they're never going to make this process easy for the consumer...but charging for ringtones is just such a petty thing in this day and age of smart phones. Grumble grumble grumble...lol.

Damn right it is! Hahaha

jsmith7635

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, so far I've read topics about how to put songs as ringtones with our friend Google search, but the process looks uber-complicated just for me to put a song from my collection as a ringtone.

Is there any other (easier) way to do it? The way I've read about works by using iTunes on our laptop and take different steps to convert the song to a different format and whatnot and all that.

May be a newbie question but as you guys know, I'm new to iPhone and I'm not all the way familiar with it. Coming from Android where you just click on a song and "set as ringtone" this means a hole different world to me.

Thanks!

I used Garage Band to do it and it takes like 5 mins (if that). You open the song in garage band, (I choose to "make a loop", click the media button from the bottom right hand corner (which changes the large box above it to media on the mac). You can pick the song you want and move it into the center box (the editor/mixer). Click the button on the bottom that looks like two arrows forming a circle (next to play/pause controls.) This adds a little yellow bar at the top of your music loop. That bar determines how much of the song is played. You can find the part of the song that you look, make sure that "yellow" bar actually covers the part you want (play the song, will repeat and that gives you a good idea if it will make a good ringtone), than when you're happy with it "share ringtone with iTunes."

I probably didn't explain that very clearly, but once you have an idea what you're doing (play around with it) you can make ringtones in minutes. I have the version of garageband that came with my computer, so they might have changed that option. Hope this helps