Coming back to iOS after 4 years of Android

Volcanicstrad37

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks, I am coming back to iOS after using android since the Droid Eris. I'm giving my wife my S4 to use her upgrade. I do really like Android and didn't really have any real reason to want to switch except something different for a while and I can always sell an iphone if I wanted to go back to android. Anyhow, I do have a third generation iPad (yes the one that was out for 6 months :( and know iOS well enough, but honestly I use it to watch a lot of videos. I am wondering what I can do to make the transition less of a headache. If I have everything backed up on Google (contacts, calendar, g+ photos) will syncing all those be work without much hassle?
Also, for anyone who has done a switch back to iOS what did you download or do that made you glad you came back?

metacuate

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Just sign into gmail in the accounts section and it will sync your contacts. Make sure you uncheck the mail, though, so that you can use the Gmail app (far better than the apple version since the Gmail app actually uses those useful inbox dividers and won't show a million notifications. I think G+ photos can be synced if you use the G+ app, but really anything that is google is already on iOS, and the Google Music app ought to be arriving here soon. Really, anything you had on your android is available on iOS and works just as good (and sometimes better) than it did on android.

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I was a long time android user that made the switch to iPhone. Google makes the switch really easy by using their native apps. I prefer almost every Google app over the competing Apple version built into iOS. Chrome over Safari, Gmail over Mail, Google Now over Siri, Google maps over iOS maps. That is my preference and there will be others that prefer Apple's apps. The only thing I have not been happy with is there is not an official Google Music app yet, but there have been recent rumors one is coming soon. I think Apple makes a terrific phone and operating system, and I think Google provides excellent services so I get the best of both worlds when I support both companies products.

Jeryl31

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
There are google apps that aren't completely native to iOS but do work for its functionality. I got my 5s coming from a long relationship with Android as well and I can say the transition has been pretty smooth.

Instagram: Jeryl31

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Welcome back. I had a droid Eris when it first came out as well. Android is a wonderful operating system and I used it for many years. As well as blackberry, palm, etc. iOS just does something for me now. The new iOS 7 makes it even more enjoyable. :)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Ive been using the galaxy note 2 for a few days and I find the whole android experience unique and intricate. I find myself using my girlfriend's iphone 5 constantly to post to this forum, browse the net and play games. Ios has me at heart and to let go of it, would be like getting divorced lol ;)
I dont think I could change
Sent from my GT-N7105 using iMore Forums mobile app

Volcanicstrad37

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses so far. It'll be a few days until I get my 5s but I'm getting pretty excited. I'm interested how ill feel about using a 4" screen again. What I notice though with many mobile sites ect is much of the screen is wasted on my gs4. Gmusic coming to ios will be great!

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Gmusic coming to ios will be great!

Well technically there already is an app on iOS called "GMusic" but it is made by a third party developer and not Google. The GMusic app is decent, and it works with All Access, but it has some flaws that only a native version from Google can correct.

mbar9607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I switch all the time from iOS to android and back it's super smooth only thing I can't wait for on iOS is the google music app

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses so far. It'll be a few days until I get my 5s but I'm getting pretty excited. I'm interested how ill feel about using a 4" screen again. What I notice though with many mobile sites ect is much of the screen is wasted on my gs4. Gmusic coming to ios will be great!

Coming from someone who loved using biga** screen for a while, you will have no problems readjusting to a 4" screen (unless your eyesight is not the greatest, and even then the iphone has ways to adjust text size). It absolutely works with the 5S. The 5S is an absolutely stunning piece of hardware, and couple that with iOS7, it only gets better :)

Be sure to post back your thoughts on the 5S when you receive it.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
As many have said Google services play very nicely with iOS. Contacts and Calendar can be setup in the accounts menu in settings. If you use the dividers etc, then yes use the Gmail app, I prefer to use the native email app though as I don?t like the dividers. You have the option to use Chrome as well, I prefer Safari on iOS 7 though. I do use Google Maps, which ties in well with the other Google Apps if you choose to use them.

Best news though as we are expecting an update to Google search which would include the now view when you open the app and notifications. Almost Google Now. .:D I have that app in my dock and use it constantly since Apple got rid of web search in spotlight.

Peter Cotton

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
When I came back from the S3, I was blown away with how much smoother iOS is. You get used to it when you have an Android for a while and it's not until you get back to apple that you realise how well designed and fluid iOS is. Welcome back and I think you'll be impressed with the 5s!

dcharleyultra

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I have found using card dav works better for me for maintaining Google Contacts on my 5s.

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Volcanicstrad37

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Looking like Thursday I should be able to go out and get one. I'll definitely be posting as soon as I get it though! Probably going with the grey unless they somehow have a gold by then....lol. Either way it will go in a case.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I have found using card dav works better for me for maintaining Google Contacts on my 5s.

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Just wondering why you think card dav works better than just setting it up through the native gmail app? What are the advantages? Thanks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2