If (insert future iPhone here) were to have NFC...

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'll start by saying, I highly doubt we'll see NFC in the 5S (or quite possibly in any iPhone) but I'm really looking forward to the day when my phone can replace my wallet. In addition to convenience there is a LOT of money to be made by hardware and software makers, carriers, financial institutions, credit card companies, etc. At some point this will be the next big thing.

I know some Android phones have NFC (not sure which ones or how many). And at this point it's kind of puttered along. But if Android has it and Apple were to also have it, how quickly do you think retailers would adopt it? Would it spread like wildfire? Or do you just think retailers and the public aren't really ready for it and we're still a ways off?

Just interested in hearing some opinions... :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If the next iPhone were to have NFC, I would welcome the addition of the new feature, but at this time, it's not something I'm excited about.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Nobody knows what to do with NFC. Google Wallet was a great concept, but maybe Apple can get better traction. If Passbook is any indication, it will be a long road ahead. Either way, I can see physical money being done away with, perhaps in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
If Apple ever adopts a standard like that, it usually accelerates adoption massively. It would have helped the industry move to NFC a lot quicker if Apple had it on an iPhone because of all those iPhones out that that would be carrying it.

But......

NFC feels more like a gimmick than anything else.

Have to wait and see what Passbook improves on, as Apple stated in the past. "It’s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem. Passbook does the kinds of things customers need today."

Also throw AirDrop into the mix and think they may have something here.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Definitely agree that it's a gimmick when I had my Galaxy Nexus I never used once.

When Apple does adopt it will catch on like wildfire. The tech is getting there but still seems like most retail outlets don't offer compatibility with Google Wallet.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

flychinook

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I would love to see NFC in the next iPhone. I use it pretty frequently on my GS3, and know that it would catch on much more quickly if Apple got on board.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll