Unlocked iPhone 5s availability

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked iPhone 5S availability

Quick question for you.....

Is it possible that unlocked iPhone 5s will be available release day? If so, would they be available at the AT&T store or would it be only at Apple stores?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Unlocked iPhone 5S availability

Unlocked devices historically come out some time after initial public device releases, and only at Apple stores or online from Apple directly.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Unlocked devices historically come out some time after initial public device releases, and only at Apple stores or online from Apple directly.

I was afraid that I was remembering that correctly.

How about if a buy full price at AT&T ? Will they unlock it if I buy outright?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Folks? Anyone?

Would I be able to get my iPhone 5s unlocked by AT&T if I buy it there, outright, on release day?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Folks? Anyone?

Would I be able to get my iPhone 5s unlocked by AT&T if I buy it there, outright, on release day?

I do not know, but why not take the advice given by kch50428 and buy it outright from Apple, either in store or online when it is released? The device will be unlocked for you.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I do not know, but why not take the advice given by kch50428 and buy it outright from Apple, either in store or online when it is released? The device will be unlocked for you.

Oh absolutely.
I was wondering about the timing. If not available unlocked on release day at Apple would AT&T unlock a "regular" one if asked.
After skipping the iPhone 5 i'm a bit impatient.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Oh absolutely.
I was wondering about the timing. If not available unlocked on release day at Apple would AT&T unlock a "regular" one if asked.
After skipping the iPhone 5 i'm a bit impatient.

I understand, but hey, call up AT&T and ask them if they unlock smartphones that are bought outright.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I understand, but hey, call up AT&T and ask them if they unlock smartphones that are bought outright.

Wow that made just waaaaay too much sense.

My team mate at work just unlocked his for a trip across Spain, France and Italy and AT&T unlocked his PREVIOUSLY purchased phone.

I'll call AT&T. I don't want to go in. I'll walk out with an iPhone 5.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

The key difference between buying an unlocked phone (from Apple) and getting a phone unlocked, even by the carrier, is what happens if you meet to get it replaced. If you buy an unlocked phone, Apple will replace it with an unlocked phone. If you get a phone unlocked after the purchase, Apple will replace it with a phone that's locked to your carrier. #beenthere #donethat

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

The key difference between buying an unlocked phone (from Apple) and getting a phone unlocked, even by the carrier, is "what happens if you meet to get it replaced?" If you buy an unlocked phone, Apple will replace it with an unlocked phone. If you get a phone unlocked after the purchase, Apple will replace it with a phone that's locked to your carrier. #beenthere #donethat

Got it.

So it boils down to my patience or lack thereof. If unlocked devices are not available on day one from Apple am I willing to wait in case something happens.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

If I recall correctly, wasn't the iPhone 5 already unlocked anyway? I could've sworn I heard that somewhere! Or was it that the Verizon version that was unlocked?

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Wow that made just waaaaay too much sense.

My team mate at work just unlocked his for a trip across Spain, France and Italy and AT&T unlocked his PREVIOUSLY purchased phone.

I'll call AT&T. I don't want to go in. I'll walk out with an iPhone 5.

Get an iPhone 5 anyway. Worse case scenario you can just sell it for the 5S, and since it would only be a few months old of you having the 5 the cost from the sell you may be able to buy your 5S outright anyway....

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Get an iPhone 5 anyway. Worse case scenario you can just sell it for the 5S, and since it would only be a few months old of you having the 5 the cost from the sell you may be able to buy your 5S outright anyway....

LOL!!!! You're tempting me, man!!!!!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

Nah......I know how I am and If I get the 5 I won't want to sell it so I will just end up with two phones!!!!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Folks? Anyone?

Yes, you would.AT&T will unlock if you paid the full retail value of the new iPhone.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

The key difference between buying an unlocked phone (from Apple) and getting a phone unlocked, even by the carrier, is what happens if you meet to get it replaced. If you buy an unlocked phone, Apple will replace it with an unlocked phone. If you get a phone unlocked after the purchase, Apple will replace it with a phone that's locked to your carrier. #beenthere #donethat

Fausty, This isn't what I've experienced or been told directly by my local Apple store. I had a Black 4S that was unlocked by AT&T originally as I paid full retail for it. Had problem with it around about the time that the factory unlocked 4S came out. The Apple store rep looked up my number in their data base and could see that it was unlocked. I walked out with a new unlocked 4S. There is a thread somewhere about this same topic over on MacRumors. Members there said they received a unlocked iPhone for one that had either been carrier unlocked or unlocked via a unlocking service on eBay.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Fausty, This isn't what I've experienced or been told directly by my local Apple store. I had a Black 4S that was unlocked by AT&T originally as I paid full retail for it. Had problem with it around about the time that the factory unlocked 4S came out. The Apple store rep looked up my number in their data base and could see that it was unlocked. I walked out with a new unlocked 4S. There is a thread somewhere about this same topic over on MacRumors. Members there said they received a unlocked iPhone for one that had either been carrier unlocked or unlocked via a unlocking service on eBay.

Well, I am glad to be misinformed about this... my experience was through a friend who bought the iPhone 5 (full price) and had it unlocked at AT&T... when he had issues, Apple told him that they could not replace it with an unlocked phone... guess it varies by location - or, that for some reason, my buddy didn’t get the same treatment... If should work as you described...

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Well, I am glad to be misinformed about this... my experience was through a friend who bought the iPhone 5 (full price) and had it unlocked at AT&T... when he had issues, Apple told him that they could not replace it with an unlocked phone... guess it varies by location - or, that for some reason, my buddy didn’t get the same treatment... If should work as you described...
Was the unlocked iPhone 5 out yet at the time that your buddy was having an issue and needed to have his replaced? If so, he should have gone to another Apple store. I saw the rep looking my numbers up and told me that they knew mine was unlocked. There is absolutely no reason why they wouldn't as you have to go into iTunes in order to complete the unlock process.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2