My iPhone is acting up. Should I deal with it or go ahead and upgrade ahead of the iPhone 6?

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so here's my problem... I have a Verizon iPhone 5 16gb in White & I love it, but lately it's been acting funny, and not funny HAHA, funny like...WTF?!?! Lol! It's not holding a charge very well, I have to reboot it several times a day because it freezes, and, for example, my FB app...when I try to launch it, it just shows a blank screen, so I've had to uninstall & reinstall that several times as well. I am eligible for an upgrade, have been since April, but I'm trying so desperately to hold out for the iPhone 6, but just don't know if I can! I have tried resetting & restoring the phone & still have the same issues.... also, it tends to get somewhat hot when I use it, so I've tried it with & w/out cases to see if that helps ..same thing...

I can still use the phone, it's just a PITA to have to do keep doing these things to MAKE it usable....I just don't know what to do! Should I use my upgrade & get the 5s or just deal with these issues & hope the phone makes it until Septembe (provided that is when the 6 gets released)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What iOS version are you using? Is the device jailbroken? If you're on iOS 8 beta, revert back to iOS 7.1.1. If you're jailbroken, remove some of your tweaks to see if the problem goes away. If the device is not running iOS 8 beta and is not jailbroken, I recommend you back it up via iCloud and iTunes, move the .ipsw file to the recycle bin, but do not delete it, put the device in DFU mode, and select to restore it via iTunes. Make sure your computer is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi. This will cause iTunes to download and install a fresh copy of the latest iOS version (7.1.1). Afterwards, set up your device as new and not from a backup just in case the backup is the problem. Test it out for a few days and then give us an update...:)

May 23, 2013
Visit site
What iOS version are you using? Is the device jailbroken? If you're on iOS 8 beta, revert back to iOS 7.1.1. If you're jailbroken, remove some of your tweaks to see if the problem goes away. If the device is not running iOS 8 beta and is not jailbroken, I recommend you back it up via iCloud and iTunes, move the .ipsw file to the recycle bin, but do not delete it, put the device in DFU mode, and select to restore it via iTunes. Make sure your computer is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi. This will cause iTunes to download and install a fresh copy of the latest iOS version (7.1.1). Afterwards, set up your device as new and not from a backup just in case the backup is the problem. Test it out for a few days and then give us an update...:)

Thanks for the reply JustMe'D!! :) Unfortunately, none of those scenarios apply to me.. I'm not jailbroken & I'm running iOS 7.1.1. I just don't know why my phone is acting up so much...moreso the past few weeks where it's to the point I'm ready to use the upgrade :(

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply JustMe'D!! :) Unfortunately, none of those scenarios apply to me.. I'm not jailbroken & I'm running iOS 7.1.1. I just don't know why my phone is acting up so much...moreso the past few weeks where it's to the point I'm ready to use the upgrade :(

I hear ya, and I do understand...:)...However, before you upgrade, make a genius bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store to see if there's anything they can do for you either free or at a price that won't interfere with you upgrading to the iPhone 6. If you have AppleCare+, definitely use it...:)

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Well first of all FB App is terrible.. Sometimes it works fine and other times it crashes, locks up phone, causes lag etc....

I would remove some apps and see how it works for a few days.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't have very many apps as is Lol... FB and Twitter are the main ones I use.... I've tried uninstall & reinstall several times... I guess I should make that genius bar appointment, but my closest Apple store is like an hour away so it may be difficult :(

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have very many apps as is Lol... FB and Twitter are the main ones I use.... I've tried uninstall & reinstall several times... I guess I should make that genius bar appointment, but my closest Apple store is like an hour away so it may be difficult :(

Well, you can always skip the appointment and go ahead and upgrade to the iPhone 5S now...:)

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Use FB through the browser. Remove the app. See if that'll help maybe? Have you done a full hard reset without restore to see if the problems repeat themselves?

Sent from another beautiful blue using Tapatalk Pro.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I may have to do the upgrade...I don't see any other option, I was just really hoping to hold out for the 6 :(

Septembersrain#AC I have done a hard restart more times than I can count... still having the same issues :(

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I may have to do the upgrade...I don't see any other option, I was just really hoping to hold out for the 6 :(

Septembersrain#AC I have done a hard restart more times than I can count... still having the same issues :(

How about calling Apple first and seeing if they can diagnose it to send you a replacement? It doesn't have any physical damage does it?

If you want to upgrade though, that's up to you.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I went to Verizon yesterday and was all set to use the upgrade to the 5s, and the sales person just did a reset to my network settings & said I should try that and see if that will help. So far, it hasn't... I'm thinking I should try & take it to Apple but the closest store being an hour away, it's just not that convienient.... I'm at a loss here....

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I went to Verizon yesterday and was all set to use the upgrade to the 5s, and the sales person just did a reset to my network settings & said I should try that and see if that will help. So far, it hasn't... I'm thinking I should try & take it to Apple but the closest store being an hour away, it's just not that convienient.... I'm at a loss here....

Make a day of it and go find other things to do out around that Apple store. Call and make an appointment first though so you won't have to wait an insane amount of time.

Just my opinion.

coolqf

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Get the phone repaired and when the iphone6 comes out get that one and then sell your current phone.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I think I may do that Septembersrain#AC :) Thanks for the suggestion..until then I'll just deal with it as is...

coolqf ..I think I will use whatever I can get for my 5 for trade in towards the upgrade on the 6 rather than sell it, but you make a very good point :)

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I know you said you've done restores, but what about restoring the phone as new, not from a back up? You didn't really answer that very well when Just me D' asked. There's a chance when restoring from a back up that you're just restoring the problem as well ... Restoring as new is your most powerful medicine for an ailing iPhone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I know you said you've done restores, but what about restoring the phone as new, not from a back up? You didn't really answer that very well when Just me D' asked. There's a chance when restoring from a back up that you're just restoring the problem as well ... Restoring as new is your most powerful medicine for an ailing iPhone.

Exactly. I have a good feeling the OP is just restoring the backup which doesn't qualify as restoring as new. OP, restore the phone on iTunes and "Set up as new" after that. DO NOT RESTORE FROM A BACKUP. Something deep in that file system there is a problem that you don't have to try and spend time to fix. Just set up as new.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. I have a good feeling the OP is just restoring the backup which doesn't qualify as restoring as new. OP, restore the phone on iTunes and "Set up as new" after that. DO NOT RESTORE FROM A BACKUP. Something deep in that file system there is a problem that you don't have to try and spend time to fix. Just set up as new.

Thank you so much everyone for all your help!! I have been always restoring from a backup, but I did as Not Quite Right & Heisenberg suggested, and so far I'm seeing improvement! I'm so grateful for all your help! Now I can hold out for the 6! Thanks again everyone! :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2