Text alert sound doesn't play

PBRonTap

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Text alert sound doesn't play on iPhone 5s

On my iPhone 5s, my text alert sound never works when I get a text. I have tried every settings change I can think of, but no luck. This is not a new situation. It has been going on since I got the phone in January.

I had this problem with my daughters phone today. I found that the "do not disturb" setting was turned on. When I turned this setting off, the text sounds worked again. You can get to it in the settings, or when you swipe up from the bottom it's the moon symbol.

TampaTom

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
This should work

Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb, and make sure Manual is off (not green). Read the text below Manual for an explanation.

rustyboy5

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
TampaTom is absolutely right. I had accidentally turned the "do not disturb" on while swiping to turn the light on. My iphone5s works fine now. Good luck

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
TampaTom is absolutely right. I had accidentally turned the "do not disturb" on while swiping to turn the light on. My iphone5s works fine now. Good luck

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad Tom was able to assist you with your issue. Take care...:)

ckelton489

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 5, current iOS (7.0.4) but this issue has been going on since iOS6...

I don't get the sound alert for incoming texts. I get texts so infrequently, that it's hard to pin down any cause/effect. The phone will vibrate, not not play the configured alert tone. The phone does play the correct ringtone for inbound calls. It's set to vibrate both when on silent and not.

If I test the tone in the sound settings, it will not play. Do a full reboot of the phone and now the text alert tone will play. Then when I next get a text, it does not.

I have in the past tested with different tones, both custom and built-in, to no effect.

I just found this on my iphone after text and call alerts weren't coming in. Settings/ do not disturb. Idk how but it enables itself causing me to miss calls and texts. I overlooked it, check it out just in case.

Rahm Tumbaga

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi so I'm new to this thing like right now but anyway...

I am having the same problem. I would like to state that my text tone sound doesn't work. However, my ringtone does. This only started when my brother borrowed my phone. I didn't know what he did.

Can someone help me?

johnnyb11

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I have an Iphone 6 and have had the same problem. My alert tones would work during the day but not at night when I got home. Weird! I did drop in some water just a few days after getting it (first time ever for a cell phone) and thought it might be the problem. I THINK I have figured it out with the help of one of the previous posts here. I recently bought a stereo sound bar for my TV which includes Bluetooth. I tried multiple times tonight to get the text tone working but couldn't do it. As soon as I turned off the BT it has been working. I think that's the fix! It makes sense.

RandomBB

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Text alert sound doesn't play - Fix!

Hey ppl, I found an answer for you guys, take a disinfectant wipe and a strong paper clip and clean your contacts both for the head phone port and the jack at the bottom, turns out a bit of dirt can sometime confuse the phone regarding weather its plugged into something or not causing the issue!

RandomBB

Last edited by a moderator:

rapier350

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I only started getting the same problem when I connected my iPhone to my company's vehicle via Bluetooth, Try this as a solution, in my case I connected phone to my Bluetooth earpiece, wake phone up by pressing button( white square one ) swipe phone from bottom upwards and as long as you're connected to Bluetooth you should see the AirPlay button with the name of your Bluetooth equipment, tap this button and then another screen will appear and a tick will be beside your Bluetooth equipment, change it to iPhone by tapping it and it should start getting the alerts.
Only problem is you have to do this each time you connect to your Bluetooth source.

bkenn

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue, but now my ringtones will no longer audibly play either! This has also been going on for me since earlier iOS versions also, but don't remember the number. Have searched iPhone and iOS fora on the Net and found this is a problem for MANY iPhone users. Apple, what's up with this? Don't appreciate the "factory reset" option. Too much work for all of us when you need to address the problem as a recurring bug and FIX it (please).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue, but now my ringtones will no longer audibly play either! This has also been going on for me since earlier iOS versions also, but don't remember the number. Have searched iPhone and iOS fora on the Net and found this is a problem for MANY iPhone users. Apple, what's up with this? Don't appreciate the "factory reset" option. Too much work for all of us when you need to address the problem as a recurring bug and FIX it (please).

This is not Apple. It's iMore. But you can leave Apple feedback here:
https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html#mn_p

So this has happened on more than one iPhone? Hmm!

Ronald Lidster

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
My iPhone 4s, 5, and 6 all have this problem i'm tired of this, switching to Samsung, or selling all apple products not working proper and buy a iPhone 6 WITH WARRANTY. Word of advice if you are bent on purchasing any Apple product BUY THE WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I own a iPad 2 and bought a MacAir full warranty on both $400 but believe me well spent.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My iPhone 4s, 5, and 6 all have this problem i'm tired of this, switching to Samsung, or selling all apple products not working proper and buy a iPhone 6 WITH WARRANTY. Word of advice if you are bent on purchasing any Apple product BUY THE WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I own a iPad 2 and bought a MacAir full warranty on both $400 but believe me well spent.

Do you have everything set correctly? Odd you've had the same issue with 3 phones. That doesn't sound like an Apple problem. Have you chosen an alert tone in Settings?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2