What Changes When Traveling Internationally

estroh

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What changes need to be made when traveling internationally with iPhone 5 and using a local SIM card? Is there a setting, or do I have to manually put in a +1 before every contact number from USA so I can call them back in USA, or is there a setting that needs to be changed? My phone plan in country I am visiting includes unlimited international calls to USA.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Assuming you have a GSM (AT&T) iPhone 5, just make sure you have Dial Assist on in your Phone settings. Not sure if this setting is available in the VZW version or not (it used to be very different).

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
To the OP - if you have a GSM iPhone 5, it is unlocked, correct?

Just checking. :)

Sent From My Mobile Device Using Tapatalk

estroh

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Assuming you have a GSM (AT&T) iPhone 5, just make sure you have Dial Assist on in your Phone settings. Not sure if this setting is available in the VZW version or not (it used to be very different).

It's an unlocked Sprint iPhone 5 unlocked for international, and with overseas sim chip in it for calling plan in Israel. It was used in USA until this past Sunday without any problems.
But contacts were setup in USA without country code before travel

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
So do you have the Dial Assist option in your Phone settings? If so, that's all you need - it will automatically detect country code.

estroh

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So do you have the Dial Assist option in your Phone settings? If so, that's all you need - it will automatically detect country code.

It's there in phone settings. I will tell my son to turn it on. Do my contacts have to have country in it? I don't think he put in United States or other countries

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
On the VZW iPhone5 dial assist is under Settings>> Phone - a simple on/off toggle.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It's there in phone settings. I will tell my son to turn it on. Do my contacts have to have country in it? I don't think he put in United States or other countries

​No, your contacts don't have to have the country code. That's the whole point of it auto detecting that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711