Setting up Gmail on iPhone 5

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I just switched back to an iPhone 5 from Android. I had used gmail on prior devices. I searched some threads and see that there have been changes with how apple allows you to connect to your google account. I have tried connected using the gmail app and I still cannot connect. It tells me I don't have an internet connection. This is not the case. I can do everything else and my other email addresses work fine.

How do I get my Gmail as well as contacts and calendar to sync up? Like I said I have seen the other threads but nothings seems to be working. I appreciate the help. Thank you.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Most people set it up under Settings-Mail-Add Account-GMail. And it wasn't apple that made things change, that was google. They shut down exchange for non-android devices or google app accounts.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I see that now after more reading. I may just move away from google all together. That is not cool at all. I was able to get everything working after more digging. Thanks.

I have used google for so long I'm not sure what service I will move to but I will start looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I see that now after more reading. I may just move away from google all together. That is not cool at all. I was able to get everything working after more digging. Thanks.

I have used google for so long I'm not sure what service I will move to but I will start looking.

I recommend outlook.com they will never remove exchange support because they invented it.. I'm making the same move I'm sick of google removing features Cya google

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
As long as you had it set up on your device prior January 31st you are fine. It only effects devices set up after that. My iPad, my wife's iPhone and my daughters iPhone works fine. They were set up prior to January.

annaharris

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
Laelipoo is right. You should follow the steps, which she has given to configure your E-Mail account in iPhone. After the configuration, you can easily sync your contacts and Gmail as well.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I do use both gmail and just a recent iCloud setup and am steering more to iCloud but I have to say me personally I have never had a gmail issue just set up as gmail (IMAP),.

mainevent3405

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused when you say you can't connect to gmail. I have both the gmail app as well as gmail set up thru my mailboxes and both work and connect just fine. The gmail app is pushed notifications while the one I set up thru my mailboxes are on a timed schedule (if I choose to set it up), but I simply use the app. I'm new to Apple as well being a lifelong Android user and have had my phone for roughly a month now.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
If you are going to use Google mail, calendar and Contacts, the first two are going to be setup by adding a gmail accout, where as contacts must be done with Dav. Gmail works great on iOS though. I recommend you download some of Google's apps including Gmail if you are very immersed in the Google ecosystem.

Palm Pre - iPhone 3Gs - Motorola Droid 2 Global - iPhone 4s - Probably another iPhone

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using google through the exchange server. I haven't had any problems syncing everything that way.

As long as you had it set up on your device prior January 31st you are fine. It only effects devices set up after that. My iPad, my wife's iPhone and my daughters iPhone works fine. They were set up prior to January.

They're going to start cutting off existing connections, with little or no warnings. I had issues with my Google Apps account and was told by several folks I spoke with at Google that that's the next step. Google wants you to use their (horrid) Gmail app or go Android.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
GMail works fine through IMAP though, if you are on iOS you have two worth options the Gmail App, which I think is fantastic, or use the stock mail app. It works.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
It does work fine with imap and the stock mail app except you don't get push mail and the most frequent you can set fetch up for is every 15 minutes. For some people that's not frequent enough.

Yeah what is the deal with that? o_O Why can't the iOS mail client do push for gmail? I had it on my Palm Pre in 2009 and my EVO 3D in 2011.. C'mon Apple it's 2013! I don't like the gmail app, so I live with fetch.

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, it's not Apple it's Google that doesn't support it. Apple supports push with other IMAP services-their own, obviously, but Yahoo mail does push as well.

Yeah I was shocked I could push my Yahoo mail but not my gmail. I've read some of the debate over why there is no push gmail, and as usual it's hard to sort out the truth from the hearsay. :)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I just saw your post...may I ask how you got your gmail synced to your Iphone5? I too am frustrated!!!!

Once you have to setup your phone again after having been set as exchange .. Google server will no longer work as exchange and you have to setup as push or IMAP

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

jebulls

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have been annoyed with this situation also. I tried the Gmail app and don't like it. So what I did was kept the Gmail app just to get my push notification but still go to the stock app. I have found this works well. And actually 3 to 4 out of 5 they come about the same time but I do get an occasional delay on the stock app. It's annoying we have to find go arounds like this!!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have been annoyed with this situation also. I tried the Gmail app and don't like it. So what I did was kept the Gmail app just to get my push notification but still go to the stock app. I have found this works well. And actually 3 to 4 out of 5 they come about the same time but I do get an occasional delay on the stock app. It's annoying we have to find go arounds like this!!

Just be sure to lay the blame where it belongs - on Google, as it was their change/decision to change... NOT APPLE'S.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711