iPhone 5 camera/pic "flaw" ?

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that when you take a picture in portrait mode with iPhone 5 , you end up with black bars on top and bottom of the pic when you view the pic ?!
I compared it to taking a pic with my old 4 and when you browse through your pics on 4 they're all fitting in the screen. I just think it takes away from the pic when you view them on the iPhone and they don't fill out the entire screen (without zooming).

Is this something Apple will "fix" or is it supposed to be like this.

I did find out that if you take pics while recording a video then the pic will fill out the entire screen.

Sorry if it has been discussed before . Thoughts ?! :)

isaac65

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
You see the bars because the picture is at a different ratio than the screen. Essentially, it still takes photos exactly the same as the 4 and 4S so it has to letterbox them just like apps that are not optimized for the iPhone 5. No, Apple will probably not "fix" this because its not a problem. If you want your photos to be 16:9 ratio, you can crop them after you take them I guess.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
You see the bars because the picture is at a different ratio than the screen. Essentially, it still takes photos exactly the same as the 4 and 4S so it has to letterbox them just like apps that are not optimized for the iPhone 5. No, Apple will probably not "fix" this because its not a problem. If you want your photos to be 16:9 ratio, you can crop them after you take them I guess.

I know why I see the bars. I just think we should be able to take pictures that fill the whole screen without editing. This is completely different than the apps with bars because eventually all those apps will be optimized for the iPhone 5 screen. I don't see why apple wouldn't/couldn't address this so when you browse through your pictures on the amazing iPhone 5 screen , you'd have to see the bars on the pic. The actual pictures are a bit smaller than pics taken by a 4/4S.
It may not be a "problem" to you , but I'm sure there are others finding it annoying.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
A pict while recording video is essentially a screen shot, which just uses the native resolution of the screen right, not the resolution of the camera?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
To have a full screen picture on the i5 would give you a rather long and narrow photo?video fills the screen because it's a standard widescreen format, but to have a full screen vertical photo would probably lead to people needing to crop most of the photos they take.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2