Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Global Posts
    23,001 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Not me. I'm old school, but I backup my data for emergency purposes. When I 'deliberately' erase everything on my phone or computer, I'm doing so because I want to start over fresh and I feel the same way in regard to purchasing a new or replacement i-device. It is simply what *I* prefer, but again, that's Just Me, D
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    There is just more chances to have bugs or glitches instead of starting new.
    what kind of bugs or glitches?
    robert
    iPhone 6 64GB White/Silver (VZW)
    iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate (VZW)
    iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T)
    iPhone 8GB (AT&T)
    iPad Mini 32GB (WiFi)
    iPad 2 3G 32GB (AT&T)
    Quickly sync files between your desktop and iPhone with DropBox
    Keep passwords secure with Lastpass
    Follow me on twitter | Follow me on instagram
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,119 Global Posts

Backup and restore via icloud

Global Posts
    23,001 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by robertk328 View Post
    what kind of bugs or glitches?
    Bugs or glitches that you may have been experiencing at the time of your last backup.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by v1nn1e View Post
    I'm not a subscriber to the school of "Setup as New" - I did a little digging and found an article in the Apple KBs about exactly what is saved in a backup file. It saves literally nothing relating to jailbreak
    That's definitely not true -- I have had jailbreak settings survive iOS restores and re-jailbreaks
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by SnapThrow View Post
    That's definitely not true -- I have had jailbreak settings survive iOS restores and re-jailbreaks
    yep, same here
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnapThrow View Post
    If you are jailbroken, all bets are off. You can't expect the restore to go perfectly when you don't know what portions of the OS are messed with.

If you aren't jailbroken, restore should work fine.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    474 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I will be starting from scratch aside form my contacts backed up through the cloud. I can't deal with my typos anymore that have become part of the auto correcions. lol
    Twitter & Instagram = @billiber
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Uhh maybe this is just me..I always set it up as a new device...i would make a new account for each device since. I know I'm able to keep multiple restore points for back up, but I always made new email/apple account for 3GS then when I got the 4, repeated the process as well as 4S. So I have numerous accounts now but for each corresponding product.

Note, the iOS is constantly updated along with the phone and I assumed I had to update almost every. Single. App anyways so fresh install was likely better. The only con is indeed: contacts. I tried third party restore like gmail but I stopped since 4 because it was just a failing matter. 500+ contacts whoosh. Then again it's cleaned up. Those I don't keep in contact no longer need to be dead memory on my phone so
    Last edited by emozdashietxp; 09-16-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    iPhone Newbie

I'll also start as new phone. Aside from the bugs / glitches argument, it's a chance to rationalise all those apps I had but never used on my old iP4.

Does anyone know the best way to copy over the camera roll without restoring from backup though?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emozdashietxp View Post
    Uhh maybe this is just me..I always set it up as a new device if it is a new device...meaning since 3G where iCloud was becoming a new and growing feature..I would make a new account for each device since. Idk why, I know I'm able to keep multiple restore points for back up, but I always made new email/apple account for 3GS then when I got the 4, repeated the process as well as 4S. So I have numerous accounts now but for each corresponding product.

Note, the iOS is constantly updated along with the phone and I assumed I had to update almost every. Single. App anyways so fresh install was likely better. The only con is indeed: contacts. I tried third party restore like gmail but I stopped since 4 because it was just a failing matter. 500+ contacts whoosh. Then again it's cleaned up. Those I don't keep in contact no longer need to be dead memory on my phone so
    This makes absolutely no sense, especially since you preface it by saying "I don't know why.."

So do you repurchase apps with each account?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by alexberry View Post
    Does anyone know the best way to copy over the camera roll without restoring from backup though?
    I always pull all my pics off the iPhone and into folders on my Mac and then sync those folders back via iTunes (can do same w a PC) -- so that solves your camera roll question for me
    Thanked by:
    alexberry (09-16-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Uhh maybe this is just me..I always set it up as a new device if it is a new device...meaning since 3G where iCloud was becoming a new and growing feature..I would make a new account for each device since. Idk why, I know I'm able to keep multiple restore points for back up, but I always made new email/apple account for 3GS then when I got the 4, repeated the process as well as 4S. So I have numerous accounts now but for each corresponding product.
    This is a TERRIBLE way of handling your iPhones! There is absolutely no need to use multiple iTunes accounts for content -- certainly not based on a new iPhone each year. And as far as I know Apple will not let you combine these accounts so you are stuck purchasing apps multiple times. With one iTunes account you can still choose what you do and do not want to install on your new iPhone each year. I really don't follow your logic here... but to each his/her own I suppose!
    alexberry and JustMe'D like this.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

I'm gonna be starting fresh. I dont have that many apps and few require a login so it's not a problem for me. I like that "brand new" feeling when I don't restore from a back up.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

LOL i guess it's a bad way to explain. itll be even more confusing if i try to explain in a different way ahah. so i will say just set up as completely new device

Global Posts
    4,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

Uhh maybe this is just me..I always set it up as a new device...i would make a new account for each device since. I know I'm able to keep multiple restore points for back up, but I always made new email/apple account for 3GS then when I got the 4, repeated the process as well as 4S. So I have numerous accounts now but for each corresponding product.

Screw that. I have one Apple ID. Let everything Apple be tied to it. Simplify.
    epphllps and v1nn1e like this.
    iPhone Nanite

We've been following (I think) a middle of the road approach. Since Apple supports separate IDs for iCloud and the App Store our family uses an individual account on each iPhone and iPad for the "personal" aspects (iCloud, contacts, etc) and a separate shared account for the App Store. This way we're able to share apps across all of our 5 devices for a single purchase and still keep all our other personal data separate. It would be nice if Apple made this a bit easier, but it works fine this way once it's set up.

I guess this is slightly off topic - so the answer to the original question (for me) is a clean install with a restore of apps from the app store and data from iTunes.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #43  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    438 Global Posts

I think I'm going to set up as new and manually add back my apps. Maybe I can get rid of some unwanted apps then.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Setup as new or backup/restore

I've been backing up from iTunes since the first iPhone:

iPhone to iPhone 3G = No issues.

iPhone 3G to iPhone 4 = No issues.

iPhone 4 (iOS 4) to iPhone 4 (iOS 5) = iMessage and FaceTime wouldn't work. I tried restoring and backing up every time without success. The answer was to restore iPhone 4 and set up as a new phone so that iMessage and FaceTime could work.

iPhone 4 (iOS 5) to iPhone 4 (iOS 6) = I had a few Wi-Fi issues where the signal didn't work unless I restarted the phone.

iPhone 4 backup to iPhone 5 = The hell with a backup, set up as a new phone.
    iPhone Nanite

Can you set-up as new, and still do an old backup later?

Global Posts
    23,001 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by MsHeather1997 View Post
    Can you set-up as new, and still do an old backup later?
    Yes, you can...
    iPhone Nanite

Apologies in advanced if this is a dumb question... I'm kinda a newbie here. If I want to do a clean install or "Setup as new iPhone," how do I then get the apps and data back onto my new iPhone 5? I did a backup both to iCloud and to iTunes. Do I just go through the clean install process and then sync with iTunes/iCloud?
    TIA
    iPhone Nanite

OK... being the usual impatient me, I went ahead and did the "Setup as new iPhone" and am now going through iTunes on my Mac and selecting things to sync. (I hope that this was the right way to do this... but I realize that I can just do it over if I find that it wasn't.)

My new question has to do with apps. Being an interaction designer, I've downloaded TONS of apps in the years since the first iPhone was introduced in 2007. I recently culled my out-of-control collection of apps and organized the 150 or so I wanted to keep into folders (anal, I know). It appears that I've lost all of that, i.e., in iTunes, I'm presented with all the bizillion apps I've ever downloaded, each with its own Install button.

Is that the case, i.e., will I have to the culling and organizing again?

(If so, I'm not panicking. I assume that I can do _another_ pass at this process and this time restore from backup; then take screenshots of the apps/ organization that I had. And finally do the clean install again and use the screenshots to recreate my old scheme. Does this sound right?)

Global Posts
    23,001 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Setup as new or backup/restore

Quote Originally Posted by UI Guy View Post
    Apologies in advanced if this is a dumb question... I'm kinda a newbie here. If I want to do a clean install or "Setup as new iPhone," how do I then get the apps and data back onto my new iPhone 5? I did a backup both to iCloud and to iTunes. Do I just go through the clean install process and then sync with iTunes/iCloud?
    TIA
    Since you restored as new, I would advise you to go to the APP store, select "update" and then "purchased". This will show you a list of everything you've downloaded and purchased from the App Store. Simply select the apps & games you want to put back on your device. You will NOT have to re-purchase them. Alternatively, you can connect to iTunes on your computer and re-sync.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Default Setup as new or backup/restore

As far as getting data back I seem to remember an app called ibackupbot which you could used to pull data put of backup of old phone, then inject into a backup of your "setup as new phone" not sure if its ios6 compatible as not used for a whole but maybe worth a look.
    iPhone 5 32GB Black / iPad 2 32GB White
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12