Lightning Cable Shortage

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
So Apple changed the charging/data port to Lightning. I don't see it as a big deal. I'm sure environmentalists have something to say about us all throwing our cables away though.

However, I see a big short term issue here. The iPhone 5 is going to come with 1 Lightning to USB cable. This is the only cable you will have to charge your new iPhone. What happens if you break it, lose it, etc? The Apple store currently shows USB to Lightning cables shipping in 2 - 3 weeks. Apple kept the new proprietary cable secret until the iPhone 5 unveiling, so no 3rd party manufacturers make this cable yet. This cable is going to be in high demand for at least the first few weeks, making it hard to find in stores.

When you get your new iPhone 5, you better treat that cable like gold. If you lose it, you may be SOL for a few weeks while waiting for a new one.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Anyone who misplaces their cable or breaks it in just a few weeks, not to be mean, deserves to be without a cable. Take better care of your things. :eek:

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to be more interesting in the adapters.... both Microusb and 30 pin. I have a bunch of these cables around the house so I just need a couple adapters and I'm good. I'm going to wait until the 3rd party vendor start putting them out there in a few weeks.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So Apple changed the charging/data port to Lightning. I don't see it as a big deal. I'm sure environmentalists have something to say about us all throwing our cables away though.

However, I see a big short term issue here. The iPhone 5 is going to come with 1 Lightning to USB cable. This is the only cable you will have to charge your new iPhone. What happens if you break it, lose it, etc? The Apple store currently shows USB to Lightning cables shipping in 2 - 3 weeks. Apple kept the new proprietary cable secret until the iPhone 5 unveiling, so no 3rd party manufacturers make this cable yet. This cable is going to be in high demand for at least the first few weeks, making it hard to find in stores.

When you get your new iPhone 5, you better treat that cable like gold. If you lose it, you may be SOL for a few weeks while waiting for a new one.

Probably by September 22nd there will be plenty of knock offs on ebay for a few bucks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2