Moving from a BlackBerry, a couple of Questions

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm a long time apple user... I've had a Mac since my first computer in elementary school and have always had an iPod Touch and iPad alongside my BlackBerrys (so I'm no stranger to iOS).

I'm finally switching from my Bold 9930 to IPhone though and had a couple of questions.

My BlackBerry contact list is perfect. I'm on Verizon, so I assume I can transfer via Backup Assistant? or have them do it in the store? Also... if I sync contacts with my Mac... will I get duplicates (many of my contacts on my BB are also on my iPad and my Mac). Can I just choose to not sync contacts on iTunes? And are the iCloud contacts and phone contacts separate?

Also, I got the 32GB and am worried about space. I hear that music can be in the cloud now? I still haven't been able to figure out how to get that to work on my iPad and iPod touch. My music is all in iCloud on iTunes, but it is still taking up space on my devices.
-This might be because I have TWO Apple IDs. I got my first iPod in elementary school... so my parents wanted it connected to their email and credit cards. As I got older... I used my own credit card and email, but my music was still connected to my parents email. Is there any way to sync the two together? Or delete one without risking loosing all of the music and apps i paid for on that apple ID.

Also... and this might be a more open-ended question. But, should I set-up my iPhone when I first sync it with my Mac(music/apps etc) AFTER transfering my BB contacts and phone number, should I set-up as a totally new device, or should I restore from a back up of either my iPod Touch or iPad?
-I am more inclined to set up as a totally new device and manually choose which apps/music/pictures/etc go on my phone.

Thanks for listening, hopefully I wasn't rambling!

Sam

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm a long time apple user... I've had a Mac since my first computer in elementary school and have always had an iPod Touch and iPad alongside my BlackBerrys (so I'm no stranger to iOS).

I'm finally switching from my Bold 9930 to IPhone though and had a couple of questions.

Welcome to the dark side. :)

My BlackBerry contact list is perfect. I'm on Verizon, so I assume I can transfer via Backup Assistant? or have them do it in the store?

I had Verizon swap mine from my Storm2 to my iPhone in the store. Took all of 30 seconds.

Also... if I sync contacts with my Mac... will I get duplicates (many of my contacts on my BB are also on my iPad and my Mac). Can I just choose to not sync contacts on iTunes? And are the iCloud contacts and phone contacts separate?

That one I don't know. I don't use iCloud.

Also, I got the 32GB and am worried about space.

Unless you store a lot of movies on your phone, you'll be fine. I've got the 16GB 4s and I've got probably two hundred songs on mine and I'm nowhere near out of room.

hear that music can be in the cloud now? I still haven't been able to figure out how to get that to work on my iPad and iPod touch. My music is all in iCloud on iTunes, but it is still taking up space on my devices.

Yes. iCloud lets you store your music.

Also... and this might be a more open-ended question. But, should I set-up my iPhone when I first sync it with my Mac(music/apps etc) AFTER transfering my BB contacts and phone number, should I set-up as a totally new device, or should I restore from a back up of either my iPod Touch or iPad?
-I am more inclined to set up as a totally new device and manually choose which apps/music/pictures/etc go on my phone.

Thanks for listening, hopefully I wasn't rambling!

Sam

I'd set it up as a new device. That's what I did with mine when I got it. Set it up as a new device, then took it to Verizon the next day to transfer my contacts.

Hopefully someone else can answer your iCloud questions better than I can. :)

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank! That helped a lot! I will set up as new device. Hopefully someone can enlighten me about icloud and the separate apple ids.

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes, welcome to the dark side! I switched from BB just 2 months ago....and have been LOVING it!

I'm with Sprint and they took my contacts from my BB and put on iPhone...however it transferred only contacts and #'s, not address or email. No biggie, gave me time to play! ;)

I do manually transfer music etc...that way I can pick and choose. I only have the 8gb, yes I know seems silly, but works for me...I have 200 songs, 30 apps, over 200 pics and I don't use icloud.

That's my 2 cents! :D

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
...when I ditched my blackberry 9930 for my iPhone 4s I did this via google sync. My contacts where sync on the blackberry to my gmail. When I got my iPhone I sync my gmail via Microsoft Exchange and all my contacts where there...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
...when I ditched my blackberry 9930 for my iPhone 4s I did this via google sync. My contacts where sync on the blackberry to my gmail. When I got my iPhone I sync my gmail via Microsoft Exchange and all my contacts where there...

Same here and to add to this. When I decided to keep my BB too with me both of them Sync together now so that If I add a contact on one, the other gets it as soon as it syncs again :)

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
My college stuff is on an exchange server, so that's good to know! And I think I'll get google sync! That sounds effective. I just hope it's still available for BlackBerry!

EDIT:
Just downloaded Google Sync for my BB :)
BUT, it only synced 91 of my contacts. :( (I have about 500 or so in my BB's contact list). Do I need to do it manually?

Last edited:

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My college stuff is on an exchange server, so that's good to know! And I think I'll get google sync! That sounds effective. I just hope it's still available for BlackBerry!

EDIT:
Just downloaded Google Sync for my BB :)
BUT, it only synced 91 of my contacts. :( (I have about 500 or so in my BB's contact list). Do I need to do it manually?

Do it manually or reboot your blackberry . I remember having that issue.

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm right there with you! I've been holding out for the iphone 5 ever since the 4 came out on Verizon lol seriously can't wait to dump my blackberry

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I suggest downloading an app called Lookout security. It backs up your contacts and pictures pretty easily and lets you transfer stuff even easier. Welcome to the iPhone world!

BryanTheRed

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon back up assistant works flawlessly, there is no reason to go in store for contacts transfer anymore. I've used it going from BB to Android to iOS and its been flawless!

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Great. Thanks for all the responses guys! Backup assistant sounds easy enough. And I'll look into that lookout security app!

Can anyone answer my iCloud apple ID issue from my first post?