Trying to decide between 4S and 5

michaelpri

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Long story short.

My wife and I both have basic phones. Older flip phones and we are thinking of switching to smart phones. I have looked at the iphones and tI seem to be attracted to them the most.
These will be almost exclusively used for primarily phone calls, texts, camera function and because it is available some web use.
I have always been happy with the reception and use on verizon. The voice clarity has always been great and I do not want to sacrifice that.
I have looked at the 4S as well as the 5. I really like both- possibly the 4S more though due to the overall size and feel. The fact that it is 100.00 less is also nice.
My questions are:

Would I be sorry if I purchased 4S now to keep for two years when the newer 5 is more advanced and all rumors point to an even newer phone within several months? The 4S will be 2 year old technology pretty quick and 4 years old at the end of contract. Will this still be supported by apple?

The price of the 4S will most likely drop in a couple of months when a newer one is released. I hate the feeling of over spending when I don't have to. our phones are still working. Mine just will not hold a charge anymore-- even with a new battery.

Is the 5 that much better a phone than the 4S. Much faster, better camera, etc-- or would I even notice the differences.

Voice clarity, sound from speakers (music), dropped calls, etc?

Thank you very much for the advice to a new member.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
The 5 is slightly faster than the 4s, but the 4s isn't a slug.
Obviously the display is larger on the 5. The camera is the same on both, with the exception of a sapphire lens cover (which causes more issues with flare than it prevents) and some processing improvements. They both take excellent pics. I have a 5 now, but I took 300+ pics with my 4s when I was in Hawaii last year and deleted maybe 20.

They are both good, it's really up to choice. Ask yourself this though. If you are getting it on a 2yr contract, do you really want to be paying for an almost two year old phone (4s) for two more years?

If it was me, I would pay the extra and get the 5, you will like the extra screen real estate.

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Agree the 4s is a great phone, and have to say I'm very impressed with how smoothly it does everything I need it to. But if you can get the 5 go for it,

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The 4s is an awesome device. The iPhone 5 is slightly faster and of course has a larger screen, otherwise it's very similar. If I were upgrading I would pay the extra $100 and get the 5.

michaelpri

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks- I appreciate all of the input. I need to weigh the value of going to the 5 over the 4S. Since I need to get two the difference is 200.00. The iphone insurance is the same so that is a non-issue. Like I said- I hate to purchase old technology when it will be even older in a couple of months- or whenever a newer phone comes out. The tough part is I actually think that I like the size and weight of the 4S more than the 5. Tough decision when you are locked in for two years.

Is the voice quality and sound the same on both?

Thanks

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks- I appreciate all of the input. I need to weigh the value of going to the 5 over the 4S. Since I need to get two the difference is 200.00. The iphone insurance is the same so that is a non-issue. Like I said- I hate to purchase old technology when it will be even older in a couple of months- or whenever a newer phone comes out. The tough part is I actually think that I like the size and weight of the 4S more than the 5. Tough decision when you are locked in for two years.

Is the voice quality and sound the same on both?

Thanks

The voice quality is a little better with the 5 but not that noticeable

All up in ya using Tapatalk 2

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Im not upgrading until they have a jailbreak for the 5/5s my 4s is been solid no complains except memory i wish i got a 30g 4s

All up in ya using Tapatalk 2

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Long story short.

My wife and I both have basic phones. Older flip phones and we are thinking of switching to smart phones. I have looked at the iphones and tI seem to be attracted to them the most.
These will be almost exclusively used for primarily phone calls, texts, camera function and because it is available some web use.
I have always been happy with the reception and use on verizon. The voice clarity has always been great and I do not want to sacrifice that.
I have looked at the 4S as well as the 5. I really like both- possibly the 4S more though due to the overall size and feel. The fact that it is 100.00 less is also nice.
My questions are:

Would I be sorry if I purchased 4S now to keep for two years when the newer 5 is more advanced and all rumors point to an even newer phone within several months?
I highly doubt that you would be sorry for purchasing the 4S based on the device itself because it is a very capable iPhone, however, if you're going to buy the device on contract then skip the 4S and get the 5. Always buy the latest available if you buy on contract.
The 4S will be 2 year old technology pretty quick and 4 years old at the end of contract. Will this still be supported by apple?
More than likely it will, but no one knows for certain.

The price of the 4S will most likely drop in a couple of months when a newer one is released. I hate the feeling of over spending when I don't have to. our phones are still working. Mine just will not hold a charge anymore-- even with a new battery.
I understand, but again, if you're buying on contract, go with the latest available.

Is the 5 that much better a phone than the 4S. Much faster, better camera, etc-- or would I even notice the differences.

Voice clarity, sound from speakers (music), dropped calls, etc?

Thank you very much for the advice to a new member.
When the iPhone 5 was initially released, I was not convinced that it was a big improvement over the 4S although the specs clearly indicated that it was. Well, 6 month later, I opted to purchase the iPhone 5 and now that I have it, wow! My initial assessment of it was way off and I have no problem admitting it. If the 4S is a beast, and it is, then the 5 is 2 beasts in one body...:)

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Go with the 5. It's all ready old tech by today's standards. Remember iOS 7 will be out shortly and if they do announce some new exclusive feature it may not be included to work on a 4s. The 4s is no slouch but the 5 has more screen real estate, lighter, faster and looks beautiful. No brainier in my book.

GreenduckDK

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I''m very new to the iPhone scene. Got my first iPhone a few days ago and I chose the 4S. Here in Denmark contracts are only 6 months so that of course is a big difference compared to two years. Anyway, technology aside, one of the main reasons I went with the 4S was the design and feel. A few of my friends have the 5 and I just feel the overall feel of the 4S is much better. The 5 feels more plastic-ish and I don't like it's lightweight feel. I can't see why things necessarily have to be as light as possible, it just feels like toys.

revtech

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
No disrespect, but if you're currently using flip phones I can't see you being bothered by the possibility of your iphone being 'old technology' by the end of the contract. But in six months the ip5 will be todays ip4s with the 4s moving to the bottom of the food chain, so I'd recommend the 5 if you can swing it. However like I said, coming from a flip phone you will be more than satisfied with the 4s . . . btw Lte is really only an advantage for web/download activity, so if you say that you're not going to use that often it may not be a big deal for you.

Puakia

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I sympathize with your dilemma. I bought the original iPhone, waited my two years and bought the next version. Waited 2 years (totally envious of my friends and the new version of the iPhone they would inevitably have) and bought again. Then I bought the 4S and loved it. When the 5 came out I gave my husband the 4S because he was still working on a 3gs and I purchased a 5 with his upgrade. I can't say there is a ton of noticeable difference. My husbands 3gs was a great phone and it still sits in the drawer as a spare. If you are app junkies on your computers then the 5 may be worth it as you will have the most up to date. If your just getting used to the iPhone, the 4S may be just what you need. A great iPhone, but at a better price.

What about buying one of each and then your could see who likes what and switch if necessary! He likes his 4S because it feels sturdier. I like the 5 because it is lighter and larger. One of each may be a great solution for you!

Puakia

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
My husband likes the 4S also. Similar reason, sturdier feel and a bit heavier. Lucky you with the short term contract!

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Right now, don't get either.

You've lasted so long with the other phones, there shouldn't be any real rush to jump into smartphones. With the new iPhone on the horizon, both options are about to enjoy a price drop. The phone you buy today will be no different than the phone in a few months.

Someone else mentioned jailbreaks for the 5, it already exists, but you'd have to find one on the correct version of iOS. I'm not sure this is even a deciding factor for you.

Something else to consider, I'd gear my decision making more to a choice between the 4 and the 5. Yes, the 4 is older tech than the 4s. But, the jump from 4 to 4s isn't very noticeable, unless you crave Siri. All three devices handle pictures, phone calls, texts, and some web. This will also be free with contract, or $450 without.

You brought up a concern with the age of technology related to your contract. Your usage of a flip phone to this state suggests your typical behavior isn't to upgrade very often. Are you really concerned about the age of the tech or do you focus more on the functionality? It's possible you may decide you'll do more with the phone than you expect now, I did. One option to consider is pleasing the wife by getting her the 5 now. This gives you the time to play with her phone and the feeling of the current top of the line model. In several months, prices drop and you'll have more of a firsthand experience to draw from. At that point, you'll know if you want the 5 or if you'd be content taking the 4s at that point. The price of your second 5 would likely be the price of the 4s currently. This also opens up the opportunity to choose to get the 5s for one of you if the new features are something either of you would want.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2