How to repair sync/charge cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katxox

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
The charger to my iphone 4s broke. The wires pulled out of the phone end of the charger. It's a 10 foot charger cable so I'd really like to resolder it but I'm not sure what color wire goes in what position. The cable has a green, red, white and black wire. The end has 4 soldering points - 3 on one end and one on the other. Does anyone know what positions I would put what wires?

Thank you so much, any help would be greatly appreciated!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
How on earth did you manage to pull the wires out of the end of the charger like that ?!? Lol. I know nothing about soldering it back together but I'd have to say it's not something I'd suggest doing in fear of something not connecting properly & then if you use the 'fixed' cable to charge/USB your iPhone and something goes wrong you could wind up frying your phone. I'd just get a new one and not chance it if I were you:)

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
There's really no way for anyone here to help you with this without having a lot more information. Each third-party cable can be completely different inside, so your brief description isn't much help.

Assuming that know what you're doing, your best bet would be to do a google search for the pinout of the 30-pin Apple connector and figure out which of the solder pad goes with which connector pin. As soon as you've identified the solder pads, you can hook it back up.

Charge cables are pretty cheap at Monoprice. Just buy a new one. Unless it's a unique cable for some specific accessory, it's not worth it to fix.

Edit: If you're determined to fix the cable and don't want to research the pinout, you could just try each combination. Everything is protected in the phone very well, and you're dealing with low voltages, so nothing bad will happen if you wire it up wrong. There are only 16 combinations...

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Just use the cable that came with the phone and just get a USB extending cable for cheap on Ebay.
They go up to 25 feet and I've seen even longer. I have a 10 footer connected to my home charger.

Apple_Fangirl06

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
If the charger came with ur 4S it's still under warranty. Pop into ur local Apple Store & they will give you a replacement (I did this last month; different problem). On the other hand if the charger is a third party...purchase another one & charge the experience to the game.

katxox

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
How on earth did you manage to pull the wires out of the end of the charger like that ?!? Lol. I know nothing about soldering it back together but I'd have to say it's not something I'd suggest doing in fear of something not connecting properly & then if you use the 'fixed' cable to charge/USB your iPhone and something goes wrong you could wind up frying your phone. I'd just get a new one and not chance it if I were you:)

My daughter pulles the charger out of her phone by the cord, not the plastic piece up near the phone. I'd like to kick her a**!

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The charger to my iphone 4s broke. The wires pulled out of the phone end of the charger. It's a 10 foot charger cable so I'd really like to resolder it but I'm not sure what color wire goes in what position. The cable has a green, red, white and black wire. The end has 4 soldering points - 3 on one end and one on the other. Does anyone know what positions I would put what wires?

Since your 4S is still under warranty take the charger to apple (and have your phone) and they'll make sure it's a 4S and give you a brand new charger - no questions asked ... Sync cable if it's ripped too... Done this at least twice lol

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Since your 4S is still under warranty take the charger to apple (and have your phone) and they'll make sure it's a 4S and give you a brand new charger - no questions asked ... Sync cable if it's ripped too... Done this at least twice lol

What you say would work it it wasn't an "after market" cable. Not sure Apple EVER mande a 10' charger cord... mostly in the 3-foot length only.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

Seriously, just buy a new one. Apple dock cables are a dime a dozen.

No one here is going to know this information. If you can't find the wiring diagrams online then they probably aren't out there. Your best bet might be iFixit or something like that.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
My daughter pulles the charger out of her phone by the cord, not the plastic piece up near the phone. I'd like to kick her a**!

I'm sure her phone usage will suffer if she can't charge her phone until she learns the proper way to disconnect/respect the phone charger...#justsayin...

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I found everyone's reply in this thread to be completely useless! And not the imore way at all!! I only stumbled upon this thread through google and I assume by now the op has resolved this issue, however, to all the people who replied, IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING.
First off, the wiring will be the same for all the 30 pin connectors. 4 wires, 4 solder points, plus a solder for the ground. He needs a diagram of the order.
Second, who the crap cares how it was broken, he needs a diagram
Third, who the crap cares how or where or what he can buy, HE NEEDS A DIAGRAM
fourth, USB can have a maximum usable length of 15 feet.

Last edited:

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING.

I had something to say, so I said it. Seriously, if the OPs' daughter cannot learn to plug/unplug the phone cord the correct way, then fixing the cord is irrelevant as it seems it will happen again.

Now I understand that I didn't offer a solution to fix the OPs cord problem, but I may have offered a solution to fix future cord problems.

Carry on... I'll check back next year to see if you've resurrected this thread again.

BruceWM

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I broke a wire in the iPhone/iPad end of a six-foot after-market extension cable a few days ago. Can't blame the cable maker though, over the last several months I've picked up my iPhone a few times in dim light to put it in my pocket and not realized it was plugged in until the cord jerked the 30-pin connector out of the phone, and none too gently as I was in a hurry and moving quickly.

It became clear there was a broken wire after the last time, as the cable started charging intermittently if the wire going into the connector was wiggled. A few days ago it stopped working altogether. I ordered two new cables, but they have been slow to ship and I was getting impatient for a replacement cable.

Today I elected to take a closer look at the failed cable to see if it could be repaired. First I had to get it open, so I held the metal portion (gently) with pliers and pulled on opposite ends of the plastic cover. It started sliding off, so I was making progress, then suddenly it released completely and because I had the cable tangled in my fingers I found myself with the metal part and pliers in one hand and the cable in the other and no connection at all between them.

Looking closer I saw that three of the wires had small pins attached by solder, while a fourth wire had no pin, that one was still in the metal connector. My first thought was that the connector was ruined beyond recovery, not to mention I had no notion of which pin went in which hole of the connector, but I elected to do a Google search for wiring information and ran across this thread. While it didn't really give me any useful information, it did tell me that someone else had gone seeking information on repairing a cable.

Studying the very small pins it became apparent by their shape where each wire and pin belonged. The broken wire of course was obvious since its pin was still in place. I pulled that pin to examine it and found the non-soldered end had a slight hook in it and I noted the orientation. The pins that had pulled out also had such shapes, and when I aligned them all with the hook in the same orientation as the one I'd pulled, one's soldered end was bent to the left, one was straight, and the third's soldered end was bent to the right. It seemed clear to me that they were bent like this to maximize the air gap between the solder joints when they were in the connector.

There were three empty holes in the connector, all on one end and so I reinserted them in that order and oriented as the black wires pin. Easier to say than to do, but using needle-nose pliers and patience, I finally accomplished it. I don't know if it was needed, but then I put a very small drop of a rubber and plastic effective superglue on the base of the pin where it entered the connector in hopes that would make sure it didn't back out with use.

I took a moment to test fit the connector into my phone so that I could determine how to position the plastic outer covering that has the orientation mark on it. Normally these things face "up" as you position the connector to go into the phone, and I didn't want this one to be different. Finally I slid the cover up the wire and over the metal connector, and then inserted the retaining piece that goes on the end to lock it in place. The job was done at that point, but I put a small drop of glue on the interface between the cable outer surface and the reinforcing plastic where it enters the connector with the intent that any future cable pulls would not easily stress the wires again. I never intended to remove the connector by pulling the cable, but accidents happen.

I plugged the cable into power and plugged the other end into my phone and it indicated power and that it was charging. Wiggling the wire had no effect so I consider this a successful recovery for about 30 minutes of my time. It wasn't about avoiding the expense of a new cable really, as I mentioned at the start I have two ordered, rather about not having to wait on delivery.

In case the wiring scheme is useful to someone else, I've included a photo of the connector after the pins were reinserted. My solder repair was to the black wire in the middle of the plug by the way, and I used much less than the original assemblers did on the other three pins. While it may appear in the photo that the solder joints nearly touch, that is not the case. By rotating the plug you note that between the bend of the pins and the actual solder point location, all have good clearance.

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2