Storm 2 to Iphone 4s

mlg2919

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Planning to go from my Blackberry Storm 2 to Iphone 4s but have some concerns and questions since we travel a lot. We are on Verizon and will have unlimited data.

How is the reception in 1x areas.
Can the 4s be JB for PDANET, a must have app for me. Is there a better solution?
Speaker quality and volume, how good is it?
Sync with Outlook contacts and calender? How hard is it, what app to do it with?
Use Poynt for gas prices now, what would be the equivalent in 4S?
Best Turn by turn Navigation app?
Have hotmail and gmail accounts, can both be linked without issues?
Is facebook easy to link on 4s?

I look forward to all the answers, suggestions and advice, Thank You in advance.

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey, welcome...

The reception has been improved with the new dual antennae design on the 4S. 1X coverage is tolerable speed wise, but there have been very rare places that I've dropped a call.

The 4S can be Jailbroken, and there are apps for free tethering.

The speaker is fairly loud and clear. Call quality is very good.

Syncing with outlook, I'm not too sure.... but importing contacts into iTunes, or uploading them to gmail and grabbing a gmail sync app are 2 of the easiest ways.

Poynt is available on iOs.

Garmin makes great standalone or On-demand navigation apps. Maps come preloaded and has turn by turn directions, just no voice prompts.

Hotmail and Gmail are supported.

Lastly, Facebook has been rumored to be getting integrated with a future version of iOs. So it's definitely supported.

Hope I helped.

Reactions: mlg2919

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Apples and Oranges. My wife went from the Storm 2 to the 4s and loves it. I came from a Droid and feel the same. I don't know how the Berry compares in reception, but the 4s deffinatly has better reception than my Droid did. The 4s is easier to use and is more versitle. I wouldn't give switching over a second thought... really!!!

DZD

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I was a longtime blackberry user and came over to the iPhone 4S when they came out. I honestly had no idea how much more enjoyable I find the iPhone to the blackberry - don't get me wrong, I really loved the blackberry but the User Experience is far superior on the iPhone.

Regarding your specific concerns - I'll address those that I can:

1. Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc., no problem at all - very easy to setup.

2. Facebook - again, no problem, app works great.

3. Outlook - i'm not sure if you are talking about a home outlook tied to an internet based email or if you are corporate Outlook/Exchange - I'm on corporate Exchange and I have no issues - the setup is very easy. In fact, I have my work Outlook/Exchange, Yahoo, Gmail and Windows Live email accounts all setup on my 4S.

4. Reception - I believe that in poor reception areas the blackberry actually works better - it's not an issue for me but it is my obervation.

Good luck and enjoy.

sofryj

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I also went from a Storm 2 to an iPhone4S. No problem with Outlook at all......actually iCloud makes that a breeze. PDANet I believe is available, as is iTether if the other isn't. Regardless, there are several options for tethering a jailbroken iphone to your computer.

Right now I will tell you the one thing you will hate. On your BB, you have to option to be prompted when you are deleting emails where you can select if you want it deleted off the server. With iOS, in the settings it's either delete all or none, there is no option to be prompted. This means going through a lot of emails twice. I have yet to find an app or tweak that will provide this function.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
There is an option in the mail settings, forgetting off the top of my head where or what it is called but if i delete an email off my device it is deleted off the server as well and will not be delivered to my outlook when i sign on. but honestly since getting my iphone i dont check outlook as much. Only when i want to get important emails to save for later so i can delete them off my device.

actually just looked, you go to settings>mail> select the mailbox to adjust>advanced >under incoming settings select delete from server and select "when removed from inbox"

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
As long as the email can be set up thru exchange you don't have to double read it or delete it - same with iCloud email on macs

psiclne

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Use Poynt for gas prices now, what would be the equivalent in 4S?
Best Turn by turn Navigation app?
Have hotmail and gmail accounts, can both be linked without issues?

1. Poynt is available on iOS
2. I use Waze, but I do like BlackBerry Traffic more
3. Hotmail is my primary email and it doesnt support IMAP (when you read/delete an email on your phone it remains on the server) theres work arounds, but I haven't tried them yet.

Im a recent 4s user that came from an BB 9900

v6mikey

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Planning to go from my Blackberry Storm 2 to Iphone 4s but have some concerns and questions since we travel a lot. We are on Verizon and will have unlimited data.

Sync with Outlook contacts and calender? How hard is it, what app to do it with?

I look forward to all the answers, suggestions and advice, Thank You in advance.

Outlook sync for contacts and calendar work really well with the icloud control panel installed on your pc or mac. Download from here. Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

sofryj

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
There is an option in the mail settings, forgetting off the top of my head where or what it is called but if i delete an email off my device it is deleted off the server as well and will not be delivered to my outlook when i sign on. but honestly since getting my iphone i dont check outlook as much. Only when i want to get important emails to save for later so i can delete them off my device.

actually just looked, you go to settings>mail> select the mailbox to adjust>advanced >under incoming settings select delete from server and select "when removed from inbox"

What I want is an option where I get prompted while I am deleting asking if I also want it deleted off the server. My problem is that I need some deleted but not others. With the setting you listed above it's all or nothing. I need to be able to pick and choose......like I could on my Blackberry.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
What I want is an option where I get prompted while I am deleting asking if I also want it deleted off the server. My problem is that I need some deleted but not others. With the setting you listed above it's all or nothing. I need to be able to pick and choose......like I could on my Blackberry.

Set your email up thru exchange on the device or use iCloud email and it will

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77