Battery Charging Question

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm a complete iNewbie, coming from Palm smartphones before, and I have a battery charging question.

When I plug in my iPhone 4s at night, it will be at 100% by morning, which I expect. If I leave something running, however, like the music player to fall asleep to, or the TimeTuner alarm clock app to wake me up, it will be at 95% to 98% in the morning. Even if I close the TimeTuner app, it will stay at 97% or whatever it was no matter how long I leave it plugged in. If I close the app, unplug the iPhone, then plug it back in, it will be at 100% in a few minutes.

Also, if I don't plug it back in, and leave it at 97%, I don't notice any major difference in battery life, so what I'm asking is am I looking at a minor glitch in battery index reporting, or is there some sort of battery issue here?

No matter what, it sure lasts a lot longer on a charge than my Pre did! Like twice as long!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Once the battery hits 100% on the charger, it's stops charging until it drops down to 90%. Its to protect the battery from over charging . So with that said, using music player and ect will make battery discharge some.

Reactions: jkeitz

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
That's great to know, thanks! I have been so used to my Pre which would drain 10% or more an hour on standby, so I always worry about battery problems. Since the battery isn't replaceable in this phone, I was extra worried.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
If you have any concerns, search for battery issues threads. There are lots of topics discussed here about battery issues. Opinions vary on how to treat the battery, but essentially with lithium ion batteries you can charge/discharge whenever you like and it's not necessary to do a full drain/charge cycle on a regular basis (Apple recommends once per month).

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you have any concerns, search for battery issues threads. There are lots of topics discussed here about battery issues. Opinions vary on how to treat the battery, but essentially with lithium ion batteries you can charge/discharge whenever you like and it's not necessary to do a full drain/charge cycle on a regular basis (Apple recommends once per month).

Laura I see you to be well informed because the first thing I did when I got my 4S was to look at the apple site for battery tips and you are right, they recommend once a month to drain until your phone shuts off but other then that you can charge whenever you feel like it. Also it is a good idead to use your phone alot to keep the battery cycling and flowing to keep from corrosion and get better use out of it. Thanks

derfel

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Once the battery hits 100% on the charger, it's stops charging until it drops down to 90%. Its to protect the battery from over charging . So with that said, using music player and ect will make battery discharge some.

are you sure???

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2