Switching Carriers

nite732

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone yet figured out yet with the gsm and cdma bands on the 4s, it the phones truly ours. Can we take it to different carriers when we leave. Has anyone confirmed this yet or are still locked.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone yet figured out yet with the gsm and cdma bands on the 4s, it the phones truly ours. Can we take it to different carriers when we leave. Has anyone confirmed this yet or are still locked.

iPhones are sold both locked and unlocked.. most carriers lock the phone meaning you can't take it with you when you go to another carrier unless they unlock the phone..

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Just as an example, the 'unlocked' Sprint phone is ONLY unlocked for international use. I can go to Canada and put in a Canadian sim to use it, but in the U.S. it will only work on Sprint.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

nite732

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
But with it having both CDMA and gsm will sprint and Verizon put them in their system. Nokia phones had radios for AT&T and tmobile. I was wondering was it the same but I know with CDMA carriers the esn has to be added to their system. All the iPhones are the same now and all have the same radios so you would think you could take it to any carrier. If they allow it in their system.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
But with it having both CDMA and gsm will sprint and Verizon put them in their system.
No. Why do you think they'd change their policies on the release of the 4s?

All the iPhones are the same now and all have the same radios so you would think you could take it to any carrier. If they allow it in their system.
1. They don't allow it in their system (see above).
2. The 4S's are the same. However, the subsidy locks and carrier enacted firmware restrictions are not.

There are active threads discussing these matters that you should read up on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2