iTunes syncing issues on beta 5 and backups

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Did a sync last night and then couldn't see any pictures in my photo library that were previously synced from iPhoto through iTunes. Had to restore to get my pictures back. Since I have one good backup on iTunes beta 5, I will not be sycing any more on this beta. I'm done with dealing with problems.

jproubique

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I had the same thing happen last night... Alli stated that she did, too, over the weekend... could be either the iOS 5 b5 or the iTunes 10.5 b5 (are you a Mac or PC? that may or may not be a factor - Alli and I are both Macs).

In my case, I chose "set up as new" and iTunes did a fresh backup before it reset my phone... so I let that finish, then restored from the fresh backup... there were a few loose ends, but overall pretty clean.

Hope we don't have to do this over and over and over :)

for me it was the itunes beta after doing a full uninstall and reinstall it worked fine...for me anyway a freind of mine says his still wont sync after reinstall but thats betas for you

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
After I restored about 5 days ago, I kept wifi sync off and now only sync with cord. All seems ok. I will stick to this method until beta 6.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
After I restored about 5 days ago, I kept wifi sync off and now only sync with cord. All seems ok. I will stick to this method until beta 6.

Its a bug with wifi sync. I blame iTunes 10.5 b5. I don't remember having this issue with b4 (on Win 7 btw).

I had it try and restore my phone every time i plugged into iTunes UNTIL I disabled wifi sync. I haven't had the issue since.

I don't know what causes it, but disabling wifi sync seems to cure it.

---
- Beamed over the interwebz from my iPhone 4 on iOS 5 b5.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Since 2 others confirmed my thinking, that appears to be the issue. Now others know how to avoid the problem.

Travisimo

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had Beta 5 installed since it came out without this issue, but today I checked iTunes and it's asking me to set up as a new device or restore. Tried everything I can think of (aside from actually doing one of those two things), and nothing fixes it. I can't turn off WIFI sync in iTunes because I can't get past the "set up as new device" screen. There's no way to turn off WIFI sync on the phone itself, but I tried just turning off WIFI itself and that didn't fix the problem.

I can still back up to iCloud and I can force a manual sync by going into WIFI Sync on the phone. But in iTunes, it shows the "set up as new device" and I can't change anything.

Since Beta 6 is coming out soon, I'm not going to restore or set up as a new device for now. But if anyone comes up with another solution for this problem, I'm all ears! ;-)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2