Battery drains at a rate of 1% per min of usage when surfing the web. Is this normal?

jman94

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi I have a jail broken iPhone 4s and when I surf the web or do pretty much anything like check mail or text, my battery drains at the rate of 1% per minute. I have only 2 tweaks installed (springtomize and ncsettings). I have tried dfu restoring multiple times but my battery still drains quite quickly. I have also tried dfu restoring and then keeping the iPhone in a unjailbroken state; however, my battery still drains quickly but at a rate of 1% per 2-3 minutes.

What can I do?

Oh, I bought this iPhone in October so I think I still have the manufacturers warranty.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i would Restore as New iPhone (NO backup) and run it as stock for a little while to determine if is indeed a jailbreak issue OR hardware

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Not enough info to suggest anything really beyond what Blink has suggested. There are a bunch of possible factors:

-are you talking about cell service or wifi? If cell, is is 3G?
-are you in a weak service area, causing your phone to continually search for a signal?
-do you have Ask to Join Networks turned on in Settings/Wifi (causing your phone to try to connect to every signal you drive past)?
-are you running a ton of location services all the time?
-is your brightness at 100%?
-how many things are you having Springtomize do?

etc, etc

jman94

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry about that. I have 3G on the majority of the time because the wifi signal around me isn't very strong. When the wifi signal isn't strong (like 1 bar), I turn it off and rely on 3G. I live in the city so 3G is always full bars. I do have ask to join networks turned off and the only apps that can use location services are: Maps, Weather, and Siri. The brightness on my screen is below half way. As for springtomize, I have: clear notification center, 5 icons in dock, no multitasking switcher, and different carrier name.
Since my original post, I have done a dfu restore to a stock iOS 5.1.1 without backup. In the past two hours my battery has dropped from 86-80 doing nothing but checking evernote and the calculator app during my workout. Is that normal? During that time, wifi was off and I only had 3G on.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
In the long run there really isn't any normal usage number to compare your personal use with. We all use different apps, different settings, etc. That said, 6 per cent in two hours doesn't seem crazy to me...the way I usually think about it is by looking at my average usage and then decide if I can live with it.

For instance, say my phone on average lost 10 per cent every two hours. It would still take 20 hours to run out of battery, which is fine by me. It's just one of those things that--as long as it's not totally insane "I have to bring a charger with me EVERYWHERE" bad--I just accept. These are marvelous devices, and the more marvelous they are the more energy they need--because we want to use them more often.

And if you still focus on the numbers, look at the bright side: when you first posted, you said you were losing one percentage point per minute, which is 60 per hour. According to your last post, you're now losing 3 per hour. That's pretty good, I'd say.

If you still want to jb, just try installing one tweak at a time, watching your battery after every one. If you decide that your battery is more important than the extra usage a tweak requires, just uninstall that tweak. But remember above all to enjoy your device!

peterthomas

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
1% loss after every one minute is too much! i think you should reset everything once and then try the battery again, if still the loss is the same, then in that case I think you need to check the hardware of your device and see where the problem lies. if you are unable to find the issue, then you should visit the repair shop or apple service center to solve this issue.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
just change the battery because maybe your battery has leek his power...... is your battery is leaked when you put battery out?????????????/ then problem is in battery!!!!!!!!!!!
just try the new battery

so you want them to change the battery, correct? :D

dictoresno

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
i notice this too. about 1% about every 2-3 mins when surfing on wifi. kinda sucks, i wish it wouldnt drain that much too.

Jake90087

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
If a restore and starting afresh doesn't help take it to Apple. A buddy of mine has battery problems, took it into Apple, they checked he was in warranty and then just gave him a new battery. No questions asked.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77