return to stock from Jailbreak

TheIowaKid

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
We had jailbroke my sisters phone so she could use it on Straight Talk. She is still running an older version, 6.something. Now that she's moved over to my att plan, I want to return it to stock and update her OS. I'm guessing I cant just update and override the jailbreak. If I do a backup with iTunes, does it backup all text, photos, etc? If so I would just do a backup, factory reset, update the OS, then use iTunes to recover the backup. Does that seem right? I apologize but I use Android not iOS so I don't understand what the backup covers with iTunes.

Posted via the Android iMore App!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes the backup covers the photos and everything. Backup, restore, and then load backup. Done.

TheIowaKid

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Well everything backed up and restored correctly. I have her on 7.1 now but MMS refuses to work. Tried resetting network settings, didn't work. Any ideas?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreaking the device doesn't have anything to do with using it on another network/carrier. That would require an unlock. If you unlocked the phone then you need to have the correct AT&T network settings for everything to work properly.

TheIowaKid

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Jailbreaking the device doesn't have anything to do with using it on another network/carrier. That would require an unlock. If you unlocked the phone then you need to have the correct AT&T network settings for everything to work properly.

Correct, but to have picture messaging on Straight Talk you did have to jailbreak. Now its back to complete stock and latest firmware. It's fully on att post paid account now and its an att iPhone, locked as always to att.

TheIowaKid

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Is the phone an AT&T branded phone?

Try resetting the network settings, you may also try an APN from Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone

It is, but I would think that I could avoid that at this point since its on ATT proper and not an MVNO. I reset the network settings, toggled the network connection, imessage, SMS/MMS settings, pretty much all that I could think of.

TheIowaKid

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Still no MMS and at&t proved that it was software and not her Sim or anything because they took it out and put it into another device and it worked without issue. Is there a way to wipe back to factory again but only install text pics and contacts but no apps? I feel like it may be a ghost from when cydia was installed or something.

TheIowaKid

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
What about text then? I think what is happening is that the old APN settings are getting stored with the backup we keep restoring from. That or the actually APN settings app being there but not shown since its not jail broken? Idk.