Differencies between AT&T and VZW iPhone

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Verizon folks!

What are the main differences between your iphone and classic AT&T brick?

Most of the differences have to do with CDMA versus GSM, like no data while on a call, but the AT&T iPhone is on 4.3.x while the Verizon is still on 4.2.x, so anything brought to the iPhone in the 4.3 update is missing from the Verizon iPhone.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Verizon folks!

If they are Vzn, what makes you assume they know what the differences are? This is a question better suited for the regular iPhone 4 forum.

_YoKolorMeBadd

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi Verizon folks!

What's the difference between AT&T iPhone 4 and Verizon?

1. World-Mode CDMA/GSM Chip
The guts of the Verizon iPhone obviously contain a chip that can access Verizon's CDMA-based network. As PCMag reported yesterday, what was unexpected is that the chip is capable of accessing GSM networks, too. While there's a difference between having a GSM chip and having a GSM phone, the presence of Qualcomm's MDM6600 baseband processor does suggest the possibility of a phone from Apple that works on both GSM and CDMA networks down the line.

2. Dual-Antenna Design
When the Verizon iPhone was unveiled, observers could plainly tell that the external antenna had been adjusted slightly (there were more notches visible), and Apple's Tim Cook even said that the antenna needed to be optimized for CDMA networks. iSuppli says it suspects this is part of a "dual-antenna design" based on "early indications" (the site hasn't published its full teardown yet). iSuppli analyst Wayne Lam told PCMag that the dual design would be on the receiver side, allowing the phone to receive signals from two different antenna segments to improve reception. Given the antenna issues the iPhone 4 has been criticized for, it's no surprise that Verizon may have taken extra steps to prevent its phone from having a "death grip."

3. New, uh, Vibrator
If you have a Verizon iPhone, not only will you actually be able to make calls, but you'll be alerted about them more pleasantly, if that's possible. According to iFixit, the entire vibration mechanism has been replaced for the Verizon model, utilizing an oscillating vibrator instead of a rotational electric motor and counterweight. The site's tests say the new design has a "quieter, softer feel, and makes a better sound when on a table." I'm sure we're all relieved to hear that.

4. Integrated GPS
iSuppi's "early analysis" says Apple has opted not to include an discrete GPS chip and instead the Verizon iPhone relies on the Qualcomm MDM6600 for its GPS abilities. Although performance is likely similar if not identical, it's probably a cost-cutting move, says Ma, since by having a single component do the work of many, Apple simplifies design and needs fewer parts.

5. Lighter Battery
Though the Verizon iPhone's battery looks nearly identical to AT&T model's, iFixit says it has a different model number and shaves off 1.3 grams, or about one-twentieth of an ounce. So you're not going to lighten your pocket much by switching, but in the game of mobile electronics, there's no such thing as a negligible reduction in weight.

Source

Reactions: iEther21

crairdin

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon iPhone 4 has documented GPS problems that Verizon and Apple are ignoring and which don't exist on the AT&T version. It favors WiFi and cell tower triangulation over GPS and as a result the raw location data sent to apps will show you driving through houses and off across fields to hit cell towers. Driving apps like Navigon pin your location to roads, so this is less noticeable, but you'll really notice it in apps designed for runners and hikers like RunMeter and RunKeeper. They are useless on the Verizon iPhone 4 unless you turn off cell data (which disables texting) and wifi.

When using running apps, my distances are off by 1 mile for every 5 I run. I've switched to using my disabled AT&T 3GS when running so that I can get accurate distance and pace.

CD1X

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
they're forgetting the most important difference.....with the Verizon iPhone you can MAKE AND HOLD a complete phone call!! lol

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
they're forgetting the most important difference.....with the Verizon iPhone you can MAKE AND HOLD a complete phone call!! lol

Here come the haters... :eek:

Ironically, the majority of these haters have never even tried AT&T... but they simply parrot what they have heard someone else say...

gmz73

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I actually get a better signal with ATT than I ever did with vzw. Not bashing either carrier but I'm pleased overall with ATT. Sorry VZW I get a better discount with big blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffrey1027

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Verizon uses CDMA iPhones which have "built in" sim cards (or uses ESN #) oppose to AT&T uses sim card and thou can put anyone's sim card and work if the iPhone is unlocked opposed to the Verizon. Only 1 number can be registered with the ESN

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon uses CDMA iPhones which have "built in" sim cards (or uses ESN #) oppose to AT&T uses sim card and thou can put anyone's sim card and work if the iPhone is unlocked opposed to the Verizon. Only 1 number can be registered with the ESN

Yeah but as long as it isn't reported lost or stolen another person can activate it on their line. I actually think that is better makes it harder for people to steal a phone and then pop a sim in and they are good as new.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I actually get a better signal with ATT than I ever did with vzw. Not bashing either carrier but I'm pleased overall with ATT. Sorry VZW I get a better discount with big blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, same here. I get a 24% discount with AT&T and I would get a 22% discount with Verizon. I stay with AT&T for the coverage that I get with them and not the extra 2% discount. :)

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't have Airplay like in the commercials

Not sure what commercials you are referring to, but airplay works just fine with my verizon iPhone/apple tv setup (meaning I can stream music and video from my phone to the tv system by pressing a button in the iPod app). Is there more to airplay than that?

EWT

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon iPhone 4 has documented GPS problems that Verizon and Apple are ignoring and which don't exist on the AT&T version. It favors WiFi and cell tower triangulation over GPS and as a result the raw location data sent to apps will show you driving through houses and off across fields to hit cell towers. Driving apps like Navigon pin your location to roads, so this is less noticeable, but you'll really notice it in apps designed for runners and hikers like RunMeter and RunKeeper. They are useless on the Verizon iPhone 4 unless you turn off cell data (which disables texting) and wifi.

When using running apps, my distances are off by 1 mile for every 5 I run. I've switched to using my disabled AT&T 3GS when running so that I can get accurate distance and pace.

You mean I wasn't really going 171.9 mph on my bike the other day like Runkeeper said? :) Other than that, I haven't noticed any differences between the Runkeeper results I got when I had a AT&T 3GS and what I'm getting now with a Verizon iPhone 4, and I use it on a nearly daily basis. Both would lose the GPS signal and interpolate a straight line between the last known positions once and awhile, but I'm not noticing it more with the 4, in fact the GPS seems to stay locked better than it did with the 3GS, which required a reboot sometimes to make it work properly.

WRT to reception, there is no contest in Northern CA. VZW is SO much better than AT&T was. About the only place AT&T worked well was if you were right under a tower in a rural area.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Funny, I use these apps on a daily basis and have NEVER had a problem...

Sent from Tapatalk. I apologize in advance for any tpyos yuo mihgt encounetr...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2