anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I know a lot of people typically use GMail. But, does anyone here use Hotmail for their email?

Does it seem stable on the iPhone and iPad?

I know you can set it up with Exchange, and using m.hotmail.com for the server name. I'm just curious about the experiences that people are having while using it.

Thanks in advance

Ivan

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Since I can't stand ads [that's why I had Google Apps in the first place], I've decided to pay Hotmail [or whatever they are called these days], the $20 a year...

aberrant.chicken

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I use hotmail, live, and msn (they are all from microsoft) and they are pretty good. I've always used them... as on the iphone I haven't had any problems with it... i didn't see any difference compared with gmail. (i have a lot of email accounts used for different purposes).
What I do is I just add it as a regular account... but it will only serve for you to receive and send emails... you can't save contacts or calenders and it doesn't sync when you delete or open an email (like you open or deleted an email on your phone, you access your inbox on the computer and it still appears as new there).

What is the $20 fee you speak of? To remove the ad? Just out of curiosity.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Just to clarify a few things. My account is an original Hotmail account from 2007. Thus I'm not sure if I get\see different options to other people...

But, aberrant.chicken, if you setup the email account on your iPhone\iPad as Exchange, and use the server name m.hotmail.com, deleting something from the phone, deletes it from the account online, too, just like it does for GMail.

I paid the $19.95, and that saves me from seeing crappy ads (I detest them!), and I believe it gives me 10GB of storage (not that I need), and something about not having to log into my account every X days. I don't recall the exact verbiage.

aberrant.chicken

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify a few things. My account is an original Hotmail account from 2007. Thus I'm not sure if I get\see different options to other people...

But, aberrant.chicken, if you setup the email account on your iPhone\iPad as Exchange, and use the server name m.hotmail.com, deleting something from the phone, deletes it from the account online, too, just like it does for GMail.

I paid the $19.95, and that saves me from seeing crappy ads (I detest them!), and I believe it gives me 10GB of storage (not that I need), and something about not having to log into my account every X days. I don't recall the exact verbiage.

I've had my hotmail account since 1997... so I am a prehistoric hotmail user I guess.

I didn't set up Exchange because for some weird reason (actually my brother who is now an android user btw)... I thought I get charged for using it? Please do correct me if I am wrong... I just got myself an iphone 3 months ago.

Oh so it is to remove ads if you log in from a computer browser right? That's cool and for the extra storage.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Exactly, no ads if you're using a browser. I detest ads; not sure why exactly. I wish I could pay for Facebook to NOT have ads. Anyway, that's another story...

If you setup Hotmail as Exchange [details in previous post] there is no charge, per se'.

I've had my hotmail account since 1997... so I am a prehistoric hotmail user I guess.

I didn't set up Exchange because for some weird reason (actually my brother who is now an android user btw)... I thought I get charged for using it? Please do correct me if I am wrong... I just got myself an iphone 3 months ago.

Oh so it is to remove ads if you log in from a computer browser right? That's cool and for the extra storage.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft provides Exchange support for hotmail for free on the iPhone at least. They provide instructions in the support area, it's as easy as Google Sync.

Naviwilliams do you not use adblock plus with firefox?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, Sting7k. I have it setup currently, and testing it. But, I'm have to bear in mind that I typically use a BlackBerry and an iPhone. Thus Email, Calendar and Contacts have to work on both, seamlessly...

I typically use Chrome, and thus have never tried adblock with FireFox. I use Chrome because I love the built in spell check ;)

Yep, it's the little things...

dmcmoran

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I've had hotmail pretty much since it started. I too have paid the extra for premium account. It does give you storage space (don't need it as I've also had skydrive for years, 25GB for free with 50MB per file upload limit). Ads are best removed as they slow any browser down and you don't have to sign in with a browser once every 90 days to avoid reseting your password.

I have all my contacts, calender and email pushed. Both iphone and ipad 2. Push is slower on ipad though.

Overall it's a great service. Microsoft has some of the fastest servers around with extremely fast multi redundant links to Internet.

I have no contacts or calender events in the iphone, all in the cloud. Just wish they'd release a native idevice skydrive app!

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, Sting7k. I have it setup currently, and testing it. But, I'm have to bear in mind that I typically use a BlackBerry and an iPhone. Thus Email, Calendar and Contacts have to work on both, seamlessly...

I typically use Chrome, and thus have never tried adblock with FireFox. I use Chrome because I love the built in spell check ;)

Yep, it's the little things...

Firefox had spell check long before Chrome existed. ;)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I've had hotmail pretty much since it started. I too have paid the extra for premium account. It does give you storage space (don't need it as I've also had skydrive for years, 25GB for free with 50MB per file upload limit). Ads are best removed as they slow any browser down and you don't have to sign in with a browser once every 90 days to avoid reseting your password.

I have all my contacts, calender and email pushed. Both iphone and ipad 2. Push is slower on ipad though.

Overall it's a great service. Microsoft has some of the fastest servers around with extremely fast multi redundant links to Internet.

I have no contacts or calender events in the iphone, all in the cloud. Just wish they'd release a native idevice skydrive app!

Thanks for the info. How long have you been using Hotmail + Exchange with your iPhone? Is it reliable? I was playing around last night and there was a hiccup at one point but after that it seemed fine.

dmcmoran

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. How long have you been using Hotmail + Exchange with your iPhone? Is it reliable? I was playing around last night and there was a hiccup at one point but after that it seemed fine.

Since I got the iphone last November. It's very reliable too, although the iphone sometimes shows you it's connecting to update (wifi icon) but in actual fact it isn't, but that's a problem with IOS, not exchange.

Exchange works using active sync on the idevices. If you can't connect, any changes are stored on the phone until connectivity can be made the next time you use any of the active sync'd apps (contacts, calender etc).

I used to just use it for email but I had multiple accounts (vitgin medial/gmail) but I didn't like the way gmail handles virgin media's mail for them, so I changed any accounts that had my virgin mail attached to it to hotmail and junked virgin email system.

Push sync is near instant on iphone, but not so instant on ipad. One thing though, if I read an email on the ipad it doesn't update the read email on iphone untill I open the email client. Same thing when reversed, but I can happily live with that.

Upshot is when the next idevice purchase is made, getting my contacts and emails on that device will be as simple as configuring the email client.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I use hotmail+exchange and it works great for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2