Help me set up email

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I need to set up my email, but I need it set up a specific way. Let me spell it out. I have 2 accounts. An Outlook account for work, and a gmail account for personal use. I want to use them both on my iPhone. I would prefer to manually retrieve my messages with gmail, I get a lot of mail and don't want the phone notifying me all day. So is there a way to do this short of setting up the phone to sync with outlook and accessing gmail with Safari? One more wrench to throw in the works. I'd prefer gmail to be the default. So if I choose a picture and click share, it sends it from the gmail account, not the outlook. Suggestions?

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Simple. Set up you Outlook as normal, but for g-mail use the g-mail account setting, NOT Exchange. Set your Fetch setting to "Manual". This way your Outlook will be pushed and your G-mail will only fetch when you open the e-mail app. Both accounts will show up in the e-mail app so you won't need to use Safari.

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Let me make sure I understand you correctly:

I got both boxes set up. Push is turned off so I have to retrieve manually. So basically, I start the mail app, pick the mail box and it will then load up my mail?

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I got both boxes set up. Push is turned off so I have to retrieve manually. So basically, I start the mail app, pick the mail box and it will then load up my mail?

that sounds about right, scroll to the bottom of the Email setting to set your Gmail as the default account

nitsuj

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, almost working. Gmail is functioning. But the test message I sent to the outlook address isn't coming through. It went to my Blackberry though. (I have Blackberry work phone also set to recieve my outlook mail)

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, almost working. Gmail is functioning. But the test message I sent to the outlook address isn't coming through. It went to my Blackberry though. (I have Blackberry work phone also set to recieve my outlook mail)

I am not familiar with Outlook settings, but do you have the option to set your Outlook to push or fetch?

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

No, Push is set to ON. Gmail doesn't use Push so it will automatically fetch.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
You want push ON. Ok? Gmail doesn't use Push so it will automatically be a fetch account. Under "Push" there are options. Select manual. Outlook, which supports push, will get the e-mail pushed and G-mail, which does not, will default to the Fetch setting of Manual.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77