Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Default Factory Warranty / Return-Exchange Policy ?

My brother bought an iPhone 4 off of CL, with original box packaging, but not sealed. He dropped it and now his Sleep button does not function. There is no physical damage to the phone and I'm curious to know if Apple would replace it.

I know warranty doesn't transfer, unless it's the apple care plan, but given that the phone is less than a year old, and their track record with great CS, is it likely that they would replace his phone?

The reason I ask, before actually going to the store, his phone is Jailbroken and unlocked. If there's a slight chance they'll replace it we will restore and head to the store. But I would hate to restore and then they turn us away and he be stuck without a phone to use.

Thanks
    iPhone 4s | iPod Shuffle | AppleTV 2nd Gen
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS5

Its a chance if you are able to restore it.
    iMore Newbie

Last I checked the warranty age was tracked by serial number. So there is no reason why it would not transfer, since it's not tracked by a customer account. Unless, that has changed, which I don't think it has. Just plug your serial number into the form at

It will tell you when the warranty will expire.
    Thanked by:
    MAGNUS (01-17-2011)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS5

I think it will still be the same.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by e1miran View Post
    Last I checked the warranty age was tracked by serial number. So there is no reason why it would not transfer, since it's not tracked by a customer account. Unless, that has changed, which I don't think it has. Just plug your serial number into the form at

It will tell you when the warranty will expire.
    Awesome, thanks a lot.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by MAGNUS View Post
    Awesome, thanks a lot.
    Please keep us updated on the outcome.
    iPhone Intermediate

Apple replaced the 3GS I gave to my brother under warranty, no question asked.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyphones View Post
    Apple replaced the 3GS I gave to my brother under warranty, no question asked.
    Well done.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,196 Global Posts
    iOS Version

yes with Apple, warranty always transfers. Make a appt with a Apple Genius Bar and go in. But dont tell them it was dropped.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It has been my experience that Apple always handles warranties with the customer's happiness being the top priority. Everyone I know has received replacements without question. The only complains appear to be from people with obvious visible damage.

Global Posts
    3,512 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Just go in and tell them what happened, they will still replace it ... Even if it was dropped, I have had dropped iPhones replaced in the past, just tell them the truth they will take care of you. Unless of course you drop it and it breaks some glass, normally with no physical damage evident they replace with a smile.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iPhone Intermediate

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I got off late last night, and it looks like it's gong to be another late one tonight, but as soon as I get to the store, I will follow up on here and let everyone know how it goes.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

That's good to know as i bought mine off kijiji (very much like the USA craigs list) and the unit was about a month old so if something goes wrong its great to hear they look after you.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iPhone Intermediate

Sorry for taking so long to post back up but I finally made it to the apple store. I got there and the first guy I talked to told me he saw minor wear on the antenna, near the sleep/wake button, and thought it could be physical damage that would cause the button to malfunction. This of course would void the warranty. Anyway, he said the Genius would have the final say after inspection.

Maybe I got lucky but this is my conversation with the Genius I spoke to;
    Genius - "what's the isssue"
    Me - "this button doesnt work"
    Genius - *presses the button* "ok, lemme get you a new phone"

That's basically it. He went to the back, grabbed me a new phone and threw my sim card in there.
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by MAGNUS View Post
    Sorry for taking so long to post back up but I finally made it to the apple store. I got there and the first guy I talked to told me he saw minor wear on the antenna, near the sleep/wake button, and thought it could be physical damage that would cause the button to malfunction. This of course would void the warranty. Anyway, he said the Genius would have the final say after inspection.

Maybe I got lucky but this is my conversation with the Genius I spoke to;
    Genius - "what's the isssue"
    Me - "this button doesnt work"
    Genius - *presses the button* "ok, lemme get you a new phone"

That's basically it. He went to the back, grabbed me a new phone and threw my sim card in there.
    This is why i pay the Apple premium. I must have gotten 10 replacement ear buds from them.