Factory Warranty / Return-Exchange Policy ?

MAGNUS

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
My brother bought an iPhone 4 off of CL, with original box packaging, but not sealed. He dropped it and now his Sleep button does not function. There is no physical damage to the phone and I'm curious to know if Apple would replace it.

I know warranty doesn't transfer, unless it's the apple care plan, but given that the phone is less than a year old, and their track record with great CS, is it likely that they would replace his phone?

The reason I ask, before actually going to the store, his phone is Jailbroken and unlocked. If there's a slight chance they'll replace it we will restore and head to the store. But I would hate to restore and then they turn us away and he be stuck without a phone to use.

Thanks

MAGNUS

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
yes with Apple, warranty always transfers. Make a appt with a Apple Genius Bar and go in. But dont tell them it was dropped.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
It has been my experience that Apple always handles warranties with the customer's happiness being the top priority. Everyone I know has received replacements without question. The only complains appear to be from people with obvious visible damage.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Just go in and tell them what happened, they will still replace it ... Even if it was dropped, I have had dropped iPhones replaced in the past, just tell them the truth they will take care of you. Unless of course you drop it and it breaks some glass, normally with no physical damage evident they replace with a smile.

MAGNUS

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I got off late last night, and it looks like it's gong to be another late one tonight, but as soon as I get to the store, I will follow up on here and let everyone know how it goes.

phinx404

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
That's good to know as i bought mine off kijiji (very much like the USA craigs list) and the unit was about a month old so if something goes wrong its great to hear they look after you.

MAGNUS

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for taking so long to post back up but I finally made it to the apple store. I got there and the first guy I talked to told me he saw minor wear on the antenna, near the sleep/wake button, and thought it could be physical damage that would cause the button to malfunction. This of course would void the warranty. Anyway, he said the Genius would have the final say after inspection.

Maybe I got lucky but this is my conversation with the Genius I spoke to;
Genius - "what's the isssue"
Me - "this button doesnt work"
Genius - *presses the button* "ok, lemme get you a new phone"

That's basically it. He went to the back, grabbed me a new phone and threw my sim card in there.

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for taking so long to post back up but I finally made it to the apple store. I got there and the first guy I talked to told me he saw minor wear on the antenna, near the sleep/wake button, and thought it could be physical damage that would cause the button to malfunction. This of course would void the warranty. Anyway, he said the Genius would have the final say after inspection.

Maybe I got lucky but this is my conversation with the Genius I spoke to;
Genius - "what's the isssue"
Me - "this button doesnt work"
Genius - *presses the button* "ok, lemme get you a new phone"

That's basically it. He went to the back, grabbed me a new phone and threw my sim card in there.
This is why i pay the Apple premium. I must have gotten 10 replacement ear buds from them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2