Indicator Light?

sunflowersandweeds

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I just received my first iphone (got rid of my blackberry) and can't seem to find an indicator light on the front of my iphone...does it have one? if not, is there an app i can purchase for this? I like being able to see a light flashing on the phone that indicates if i have a new message, email, missed call, etc...thank you for your help! :D

sunflowersandweeds

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
that's truly a bummer! :( i hate that I have to unlock the phone to see if I have a message.

Blink, I almost took the iphone back the first night I had it...but gave it a bit more time and now I love it...typing was difficult at first...but I'm getting the hang of it.

Thank you everyone for your help...

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i originally came over from a BB as well and i have to admit.. i was missing the status light a lot, but even more was a keyboard that i could feel

it's just something you'll get used to. you can set your SMS to repeat so that helps and honestly checking your phone 20 times a day really isn't that big of a deal, of course if you decide to jailbreak it opens up a whole new world for notifications

typing i was a mess at, now i can do it without even looking at the keyboard

I'll never go back to the blackberry

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
me eirther. I'm not sure if Apple will ever add this, but on my EVO I have a thing called hepatic feedback and what it does is the screen vibrates as you type, giving that "real keyboard" fell. of course there is an option to turn it off, but I like it on.

I remember not to long ago, someone menton the home button could be a status light, where the white square would become a LED indicator.

At the moment, only two apple products have a LED light. One is the laptops for the battery indicator, and the other is all the macs with the iSight camera.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
You can't add a hardware feature with an app lol... Thats impossible.

And as was said by others it probably won't be a feature you'll see on iPhone.

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
that's truly a bummer! :( i hate that I have to unlock the phone to see if I have a message.

Blink, I almost took the iphone back the first night I had it...but gave it a bit more time and now I love it...typing was difficult at first...but I'm getting the hang of it.

Thank you everyone for your help...

If you jailbreak, there is an app in cydia called Lockinfo, it will show you right on the lock screen all of the current notifications that you have.

Exechobo

Sep 25, 2010
exechobo.com
I had forgotten about the BB message indicator led. Now I miss it again. But I never stopped missing the ability to toggle on and off Bluetooth. Nothing else.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Is it that hard to hit the "home" button and see you have a "missed call" or a "SMS/MMS"? I mean you have several programs for text that allow you to not only read the message but also reply to it within the lock screen...and emails, we wont get into that, i personally dont see why people are so obsessed with seeing their emails on demand, i personally hate emails and 100% prefer to use some sort of messaging system...(and yes, i know some people get important emails worthy of notification during the day, and for those people, maybe they should carry a blackberry with their iPhone, like i do for work).

Is the indicator really that important? I always found it kind of useless, especially since i check my phone often enough to render it unnecessary.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
Is it that hard to hit the "home" button and see you have a "missed call" or a "SMS/MMS"? I mean you have several programs for text that allow you to not only read the message but also reply to it within the lock screen...and emails, we wont get into that, i personally dont see why people are so obsessed with seeing their emails on demand, i personally hate emails and 100% prefer to use some sort of messaging system...(and yes, i know some people get important emails worthy of notification during the day, and for those people, maybe they should carry a blackberry with their iPhone, like i do for work).

Is the indicator really that important? I always found it kind of useless, especially since i check my phone often enough to render it unnecessary.

While I don't necessarily miss the indicator light as much as some, it would be nice to see a little icon or something on the top bar when your first wake your phone (without the need to jailbreak, etc.). Less of a hassle for those of us who use a passcode. The light would only be useful to me if it was possible to specify a "quiet" period where it would not flash, like in the middle of the night. I missed the flashing light for a little while, but I can't say it's even remotely an issue now. There are other things that Apple devs should probably be working on.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't come from a Blackberry and I honestly am not away from my laptop during the day that I need to check my phone that much for messages. So I guess it's hard for me to understand the need for the indicator light. I can see how you would miss it coming from using a BB, there were things I missed from the iPhone when I used an Android phone for a month. I think in time Apple will do something to their notification system, you shouldn't have to JB to gain functionality but the ideas that are in JB could be adopted by Apple which is why it's a good thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4