New to iPhone

scarlettpumpkin

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi - I just defected from Blackberry yesterday and got an iPhone 4. So far I really love it. I came from a Curve. I have two questions though - I've noticed that a few times when I have been using an app (Facebook, a prayer app, calendar) it kicks me out of the app and brings me back to the home screen. It did this twice with the facebook app, both times when I was commenting on a post. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Has this happened to anyone else? And how do you close out an app so that it isn't running in the background? Thank you!!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

welcome to TiPb! :D

FaceBook is notoriously bug-ridden. They have the most popular app on the iPhone, and all of their higher-ups USE iPHONES, and yet they can't seem to get the app done right. There are times when the app randomly quits out after being open for a few seconds. Try reinstalling if the problem persists for more than a few days.

Regarding backgrounding, no apps really run in the background unless they are completing a task, and that process can only run for 10 minutes. Other apps are in 'saved state', which doesn't effect performance in any significant way.

If you want to close out an app, go to the home screen (or other app), double-click the home button, hold your finger down on an app in the task tray, and then press the little red circle that shows up to close the app out.

Funny, there was a girl behind me yesterday when I was getting my iPhone 4 that was switching from a Blackberry Curve.. haha

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Also, I hate to say it but rebooting your iPhone (hold down the power button until you see the power off slider) once in a while (especially after installation) helps a lot. I don't have too much trouble with Facebook but everyone once in a while an app will just go back to the home screen. It's just annoying.

scarlettpumpkin

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Funny, there was a girl behind me yesterday when I was getting my iPhone 4 that was switching from a Blackberry Curve.. haha

Well if it was a red Curve that might have been me - haha!

Thank you both for the tips. It sounds like I don't have to worry about apps running in the background like I did with my Berry. That's good to know. I'll try rebooting my phone and see how that works. Thank you both again!

sharky2006

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I switched from a BB 9700 back in feb to an iPhone 3G 16 gig and then to a 3GS 16 gig... now my iPhone 4 is on its way should be in by wednesday.... so excited.

scarlettpumpkin

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for all the welcomes! For all you former Blackberry users, do you miss you Berry? So far, all I miss is BBM and the AutoText feature. That was handy. But my iPhone does so much more than my Curve ever could - it's really awesome! I certainly don't that aweful track ball.

mpaquette

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to TiPb.com. I'm a longtime former BlackBerry user, ditched my Storm 2 when the iPhone 4 came out. Check out WhatApp for BBM like chatting with BlackBerry users. They will also have to install the app. I use it with a couple of my die hard BlackBerry friends and it works really well.

kato10#IM

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I switched from a Blackberry 9700 to the iPhone 4. Although I miss BBM (slightly) I really have no regrets and I really, really like this phone.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd say I get kicked out of Facebook once every 5-10 times I go to post something. It's often enough that I've gotten in the habit of copying everything before I attempt to post it. That way I can just paste it instead of retyping it once I get back in.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Hmm that's weird. I don't get kicked of but I have other bugs with facebook. But they usually workthemselves out ove time by themselves. No big deal. Iys only a social app anyway. I'd get real mad if it were a more important app

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
FB acts up for me once in a while but I'm a former BB user too that jumped ship in Dec to a 3GS orginally, and other than BBM maybe and other than a few other notification options... i don't miss my BB at all.... I certainly don't miss the battery pulls and buggy OS lol

But now with the i4... BB doesn't stand a chance anymore lol

jeffnucci

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I miss the amazing keyboard and fast email on my Bold 9000 sometimes but BB is such a horrible all-around smartphone right now. BB 6 looks promising.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to Tippy (Well, that's how it sounds to me when Rene says it, at least)!

I don't have that issue with Facebook kicking me out of the app. Of course I always seem to make sure I don't have many apps in the multitasking dock and I usually reboot my phone everyday.

ladytonya

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I should try rebooting. I get all kinds of trouble with Facebook, it can be so annoying! I type a long response to someone and poof! it's gone! VERY frustrating! Anyway, welcome to the iPhone. I am a relative Noob (since May 29) and I LOVE IT! I had never had a BB or any other smartphone, so I am just in heaven right now. Getting to exchange my 3GS for the 4 makes it even better, I spend more time on this phone than I do on my laptop any more, sometimes to the detriment of my school work. Dang Angry Birds! LOL!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77