New to iphone from BB and Have some questions

tres

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Just placed my order for the IP4. After wishing I had an iphone for about a year, and waiting for the IP4 to come out; Its finally a done deal.

What do you all do as far as email alerts go? I have 4 business email addresses set up currently on my BB and I am able to customize my alerts. Example. in Normal mode, my phone rings and txts come in and make noise as do CERTAIN email addresses. However in "Sleep" mode, my email does not vibrate or ring. Can I do this with the iphone?

How are you all doing it? do you just put your phone in Silent mode at night? If I need to take an important work call at 6am(while i'm in bed) I'd leave my phone on ring... seems like I'd also have to deal with emails, or turn each email address alert into OFF mode one by one every night before bed???

Sorry if this is a noob thing...

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone does lack the notification system and customization that BlackBerry excels at. In your situation it sounds lime a BB is your best option. You cannot change the tone on incoming emails. Unless you jailbreak, there is no way of changing the sound at all.

There are only two profiles on the iPhone: vibrate and ringer on. On vibrate you can turn of the vibrate feature and your phone will be on a true silent, but there is no "phone calls only" profile. It's a profile I sorely miss

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I have multiple emails set up and I don't miss it that much, I'm sure with newer updates with iOS4 we'll see these additional customizations for different email notifications although we may not be able to pick and choose unless jailbroken just to choose notifications would be a plus but I've accepted the differences and wouldn't go back to RIM if the paid me lol

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Just placed my order for the IP4. After wishing I had an iphone for about a year, and waiting for the IP4 to come out; Its finally a done deal.

What do you all do as far as email alerts go? I have 4 business email addresses set up currently on my BB and I am able to customize my alerts. Example. in Normal mode, my phone rings and txts come in and make noise as do CERTAIN email addresses. However in "Sleep" mode, my email does not vibrate or ring. Can I do this with the iphone?

How are you all doing it? do you just put your phone in Silent mode at night? If I need to take an important work call at 6am(while i'm in bed) I'd leave my phone on ring... seems like I'd also have to deal with emails, or turn each email address alert into OFF mode one by one every night before bed???

Sorry if this is a noob thing...

I found a great app for that. I used my BlackBerry as a pager for work. When I replaced it with my iPhone4, that was a huge problem for me. I have the option of receiving work notifications by either SMS or email. There is NO WAY to get the SMS notifications on the iPhone that even come close to what the BlackBerry offers... but email is another story.

Check out MailTones ([URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mailtones-email-sounds-alerts/id329330329?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]link[/URL]) in the iTunes store. It's $2.99 and works well... however, it requires that you set up a forward of the email message to their site - they receive it and send you an alert. Sometimes their alert actually beats the email to my iPhone. In my case, the email only contains a Problem Incident Number, and no corporate sensitive data. I have to log into my work system to get the details. But if your email(s) do/will contain sensitive data, then that may be a concern for you to reconcile.

It does work well for me.

tres

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
That is certainly an interesting approach to the problem. I appreciate it, although its not solved completely. One of my email accounts carries sensitive patient information.. so.. the search is still on

Thanks for the heads up

pkang

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
alerts is one area i loved the bb over iphone...the led indicator is like the greatest thing ever and yet iphone dont have any of that..so unless you check your phone or hear the tone...your not gonna know if you have a message waiting.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That is certainly an interesting approach to the problem. I appreciate it, although its not solved completely. One of my email accounts carries sensitive patient information.. so.. the search is still on

Thanks for the heads up

Yes, that is the weak spot in the whole process... and one where the BlackBerry was light years ahead of the iPhone... perhaps one of the sources of the "BlackBerry is a tool; iPhone is a toy" mantra... :cool:

MrCippy

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
When it comes to switching from and using different devices...there is some give and take. I carry both a Bold 9650 and an iPhone 4. The notification sysem on the iPhone has actually been a huge break from the constant demand of that blinking light and screaming alert.

However, that does not help your issue. and as of right now, there really is no way to get this functionality that you want out of the iPhone 4. I just "mute" my phone every night.

This is one thing I hope Apple addresses down the road, maybe iOS5?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2