Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Default Best way to organize photos?

I take (and save) A LOT of photos on my iPhone. I need a way to organize my CameraRoll. I have over 5k photos in my camera roll and need a way to organize them other than syncing them and putting them in different folders on my MBP.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

Only thing I can think of is to drag all of the photos onto you computer (you can find do that by finding your iPhone under "My Computer" on a PC) then make up new folder titled "iPhone Photos" or whatever you'd like. Then make up a folder inside "iPhone Photos" for each category. Home...Work...Family...Nature...etc...etc.

In iTunes, after you plug in your iPhone, click on the photos tab, browse for your "iPhone Photos" folder and 'check' all of the newly created folders. You'd want to then delete them from your iPhone's camera roll so there aren't duplicates on your phone.
    iMore Intermediate

Yep, that works.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    I take (and save) A LOT of photos on my iPhone. I need a way to organize my CameraRoll. I have over 5k photos in my camera roll and need a way to organize them other than syncing them and putting them in different folders on my MBP.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    i do basically the same as you do already. i use iPhoto and every time i plug my phone in i open up iPhoto and drag the camera roll pics into the folders i have created and then delete the originals. at that point i open iTunes and sync my phone and the camera roll is empty and all images are in my folders. i am unaware of doing this any other way. it would have been nice to be able to create folders for pics and move pics into different folders right on the phone.

 iPhone 5S - 64GB Space Grey
     iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
     MacBook Pro - 250GB Aluminum Unibody
    iPhone Newbie

Thanks! This is a much better solution than just a huge random assortment of photos that I currently have going on my phone... Maybe a future release will include the drag and drop folder method on the phone.
    Last edited by understando; 07-20-2010 at 06:22 PM.
    If your interested in music or in a band be sure to check out my management company and or the band I represent

http://www.rsquaredmanagement.com

http://www.wobach.com

Any comments or questions are welcomed and appreciated!
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by understando View Post
    Thanks! This is a much better solution than just a huge random assortment of photos that I currently have going on my phone... Maybe a future release will include the drag and drop folder method on the phone.
    That would be awesome!! I wonder if thats something they can/would do in a huge update or something. Apple? Are you listening?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ariyala View Post
    That would be awesome!! I wonder if thats something they can/would do in a huge update or something. Apple? Are you listening?
    im really surprised they didn't include this in iOS 4. seems like a feature a lot of people would enjoy.

 iPhone 5S - 64GB Space Grey
     iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
     MacBook Pro - 250GB Aluminum Unibody
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I would be surprised if they did, since it's only an issue for those of us using pc's. Macs do it automagically.
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by understando View Post
    or better yet. Maybe Apple will let you name your phones like every other phone allows
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

You can name your phone now. Just right click and rename it.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I would be surprised if they did, since it's only an issue for those of us using pc's. Macs do it automagically.
    but on the phone alli that would be nice. take a pics move it to an album right after. i would pay for that right now i have 850 pic and scolling them is a mess. Whats that app you told me about for pcs?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I agree, it would be a nice feature to have on the iPhone. But I think Sir Steve would rather we all get Macs and not worry about it.

Picasa - another great Google product.
    iPhone Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    You can name your phone now. Just right click and rename it.
    I was going to say the same, but I think he meant to say rename "photos" instead of "phone".

*Edit - another vote for Google Picasa for pc users. I love it.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Whats the best way to do this in iPhoto on my Mac?
    Sync ALL photos (out of camera roll), delete them all, and should I organize them into different events or albums?

I can't stand going into my camera roll anymore and scrolling through ALL these photos.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

I'd like to add folders to organize photos as well as email!
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

What does Picasa do? I have been searching a little for a simple solution for this. I know that when I sync my phone the photos are stored somewhere because when I went from my 3GS to my 4, all the old photos were synced. I don't want to have to do all that organizing on my PC. I know I can open the phone as an external storage device and sort my photos but that is so cumbersome! I wish there was a way to do it on the phone, like making new folders under the Camera Roll folder and moving photos to whatever folder I want it in. Is that what iPhoto does and can Picasa do that?
    iPhone Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    Whats the best way to do this in iPhoto on my Mac?
    Sync ALL photos (out of camera roll), delete them all, and should I organize them into different events or albums?

I can't stand going into my camera roll anymore and scrolling through ALL these photos.

If you have a lot of photos in the camera roll and transfer them into iPhoto then iPhoto should automatically separate the photos by date, creating events for separate days the photos were taken.
    iMore Intermediate

sorry, I meant photos
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

Okay, I'm playing with Picasa but I'm totally confused. It imported all the photos from my computer, even graphics from various programs and stupid stuff like that. After spending over an hour removing all that junk from Picasa, I figured out how to import my pictures from my iPhone to Picasa but I've been at this for 3 hours and have yet to see how I can do what I originally downloaded this stupid program to do! *sigh*

All I wanted was a way to organize photos on my phone into folders. Can I not do that without involving every picture that I have ever taken with every digital camera I have ever owned since 2007. I am so frustrated right now that I want to throw both the laptop and my phone out the window!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Unfortunately, Picasa isn't a great place to start just for that if you weren't already using Picasa.

If you just want to organize your photos into folders, just drag and drop, then make sure you select those folders to sync to your iPhone.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Best way to organize photos?

Quote Originally Posted by ladytonya View Post
    Okay, I'm playing with Picasa but I'm totally confused. It imported all the photos from my computer, even graphics from various programs and stupid stuff like that. After spending over an hour removing all that junk from Picasa, I figured out how to import my pictures from my iPhone to Picasa but I've been at this for 3 hours and have yet to see how I can do what I originally downloaded this stupid program to do! *sigh*

All I wanted was a way to on my phone into folders. Can I not do that without involving every picture that I have ever taken with every digital camera I have ever owned since 2007. I am so frustrated right now that I want to throw both the laptop and my phone out the window!
    Yes I also separate them in folders and then upload.