iOS4 YouTube VS Mobile Version

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
While looking at the news on the front page I played a great video about a fashion shoot taken with an iPhone ( http://www.tipb.com/2010/07/08/professional-fashion-shoot-iphone-3gs/ ). It came up on the built in YouTube app of my iP4. It is a fairly long video and it was taking a while to load. I then had an idea. I had read another post in the TiPb news about YouTube updating their mobile version of their site. I played the same video in the mobile version of YouTube and guess what, it loaded much faster. In both the built-in app and the mobile version I was logged into my account and I was playing HQ on the mobile version. I don't see anywhere to turn that on or off with the built-in app and I think it just checks bandwidth to decide on quality. I did this all on WiFi. Anyone else notice this?

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Wow you're right! The YouTube web app gives you the option to view in HQ even over 3G. That's awesome because the built-in app downscales the video so much that it's almost unwatchable on 3G. Thanks for the heads up!

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
For me, it's slower to load the same video on the web app but that makes sense because it is streaming in HQ. To me, it's a fair trade.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
For me, it's slower to load the same video on the web app but that makes sense because it is streaming in HQ. To me, it's a fair trade.

Exactly. I was already patient enough with the youtube app over 3G so there
stands no reason why I should change for the mobile version. Especially when
getting HQ over 3G now. This is pretty awesome.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
The HQ vids load fast for me on AT&T's 3G. The quality is amazing too. For me, this has officially made the YouTube app obsolete. Now, if only I could delete this outdated app.........

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234